Treeless Saddles

"Torsion" on ebay

On ebay at the moment there is a saddle that is not a Torsion, but the girl selling it is convinced it is one, but by another name. May be worth considering.

donkeys

i tried to ind an english saddle to fit my donkey.. and i ended up getting a witec all purpose with an extra wide tree but i just ended up taking the tree out entirely. lol i have to use a dressage girth on the all purpose saddle...lol

donkeydressage said:
and i ended up getting a witec all purpose with an extra wide tree but i just ended up taking the tree out entirely.

Just out of interest. Exactly how does one do this and wouldn't the saddle now collapse on itself and essentially be a big mutilated pony pad?

I have actaully taken out the gullet plate in my wintecs to use on my very wide cob, well I did, I found it fit him alot better as it got wider, and could mould to his shape. The saddle still has a tree so it wouldnt fall in on itself, its just that the front of the tree can be widened with the wither plate, so if there is no wither plate the saddle just widens to the shape of the horse.

But if you read the actual post they've said they've taken the tree out ENTIRELY.

I thik they meant the gullet plate, Im not sure you could take the tree out without killing the saddle

No_Angel said:
Im not sure you could take the tree out without killing the saddle

Exactly my point, lol I need clarification.

donkeydressage said:
i tried to ind an english saddle to fit my donkey.. and i ended up getting a witec all purpose with an extra wide tree but i just ended up taking the tree out entirely. lol i have to use a dressage girth on the all purpose saddle...lol

Doesn't that make it a rather expensive numnah???

As I said before, I dont think she took the tree out of the saddle, I think she meant the gullet plate, as wintec saddles have a piece of metal at the front that determines the width of the saddle- the tree can NOT be taken out.

I am assuming that if she says that she took the tree out, she took the tree out and I am genuinely interested in how she did so, what reason she did it for and how the saddle now functions.

"...as wintec saddles have a piece of metal at the front that determines the width of the saddle"

I'm quite aware that you can take the gullet out and that they are interchangeable (as much as I am against the idea) but I would prefer it that instead of answering for DonkeyDressage you let them answer the question themselves, seeing as it is directed at them, not you...

Im sorry if I answered a question that someone is not answering, but an answer from someone would be better than no answer at all.
Ill stay quiet now, but I think it highly unlikely that she took the tree out of a saddle, might as well buy a donkey pad or a treeless saddle.

Oh dear! Haven't been able to get on line much recently, but it seems there is still a bit of controversy about treeless saddles. I actually just wanted to know about any problems getting hold of a Torsion through the post (I was told by Torsion that waiting list was four weeks, and that I had to send a cheque in advance for £400, plus £30 for carriage, and that's what I wanted to check out) but didn't get any satisfactory replies from the board on that score, so think I will wait a while before considering buying one.

Incidentally, it isn't that I object to sending the £430 in advance, but more that I am wary of sending the money when there is a four weeks waiting list. I would be happier if Torsion contacted me a week before the saddle was ready to be forwarded, and then I would send the cheque.

I'm off to the Derby today folks, and really looking forward to all the excitement of the big race! I live close to Epsom Downs and parking, not to mention the congestion is a nightmare, but worth every frustrating minute to get there! Anyone else going?

Roseanne

If you are worried about Torsion, don't be. They are very helpful and your money will be safe with them' I only ordered an equitex numnah not a saddle but they have a name to keep up! :D

I'm quite aware that you can take the gullet out and that they are interchangeable (as much as I am against the idea) but I would prefer it that instead of answering for DonkeyDressage you let them answer the question themselves, seeing as it is directed at them, not you...
No offense here but your reply was a little rude! No_Angel is entitled to post her opinion/reply for everyone to read, its usually very valid ;) so don't keep quiet :D

Last edited:
bit late into the thread :eek: but...just thought id add that i rode a cob in the lake district on a 2hr hack in a torsion saddle. my mum rode a cob roughly the same width height etc but in a normal tree'd saddle, she ended up with a 'numb bum' by the end of the ride and i was just sat there comfily!!!!

newrider.com