Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Treeless for backing

Discussion in 'Tack & Saddlery' started by eventerbabe, Jul 7, 2017.

1. eventerbabe

eventerbabe Well-Known Member

We are a year off backing my little HiPo but it was suggested today I consider using a treeless saddle to do the initial backing then get her a 'proper' saddle once walking and trotting. When I backed kez I dropped lucky and got a bargain synthetic. That is nowhere near wide enough or short enough for our little lady. I have to confess to knowing very little about treeless but it seems like a sensible short term stop gap. Thoughts?

2. No_Angel

No_Angel Well-Known Member

I have backed 3 of my horses treeless, but they have all stayed treeless after initial backing. I just switched to different treeless saddle after they were riding out, although with my 5 year old Connie that I have recently backed we bought her nice saddle before she was backed and she has been backed with that.
    I tend to go for an older fairly cheap well known 'good' make of saddle to back in rather than a cheapy new one to back in.
    I do work before with a saddle, making sure they are completely happy being saddled and girthed long before I decide to back them, I find this way you are on climbing on straight after putting something on their backs as it has taken my 2 younger horses a while to get used to the feel of the girth tightening.
    If you are looking for a saddle I have an Exmoor Treefree saddle I am selling, it comes with sheepskin lined saddle pad, stirrup leathers and girth.

3. newforest

newforest Opinion, a view not always based on knowledge.

It shouldn't make any difference what you use to back a horse in. Though some people do go for the treeless route. If you want a treed why not just start with that?
    My first pony was and then we changed to treeless later on.

Some treeless will feel less structured than others so if you choose that type then change to a treed you will be introducing a new feel.
    I backed mine with a pad and moved on to the saddle she still has. I only needed to alter the pad and girth.

4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

After my little incident with Ed a couple of years ago I would say whatever you back in make sure its stable and secure, a slipping saddle at an inopportune moment doesn't end well ;) I used my dream team on him, its very stable on jess but on the flat backed lump that is Ed it wasn't.

6. eventerbabe

She's already used to the bareback pad and roller, I have backed ponies before. It was just an interesting thought from an experienced professional. I am looking at saddles upwards of £2k for her once she is backed and my fitter advised treeless may be a viable first step that avoids needing to change saddles once she's more developed and avoid risking damaging an expensive purchase. This is how she backs her ponies.

I was worried about the stability. That is my major concern. She is a flat backed roly poly HiPo with attitude so I need to know I can stay put!! I've an xxxw GP and xxw dressage treed saddles sitting doing nothing but being 18 inch they are just too long for her :(:confused:

Jessey likes this.
  7. eventerbabe

I've been looking at the exmoor. What size is yours @No_Angel?

8. No_Angel

No_Angel Well-Known Member

I think it's a 17inch, that's what I bought it as I think but I haven't actually measured it, I can double check. :)

9. newforest

newforest Opinion, a view not always based on knowledge.

These are nice saddles it was always on my list if I didn't keep the Freeform.
    Stable and well made.

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties