Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Toffee's feather has gone orange!!! :-(

Discussion in 'Horse Care' started by SeeingSpots, Mar 18, 2017.

1. SeeingSpots

SeeingSpots Pugs, Ponies and glitter!

Ok so he hasn't got a lot of feather like cobs do but he has a bit at the back and it's turned completely orange. I don't know why or how to fix it? Can anyone help? Looks ginger! :-(

2. Kite_Rider

Kite_Rider Cantering cabbage!

Whats wrong with 'ginger'? lol.
    Has it suddenly happened? You don't ride in a sand school do you? Or ridden out hacking somewhere with really sandy soil? Only asking as one yard we were on had a fibre/sand school and Belle's feather was permanently orange!

3. Kite_Rider

Kite_Rider Cantering cabbage!

Also just to say, if the hair as just changed colour, does it matter? I mean he's still your Toffee regardless of what colour his hair is.

4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. SeeingSpots

Lol nothing but this is a dirty orange. I don't understand why. :-(

Yes it's come out of the blue, I don't understand. Maybe it's been staining for a while and I've not noticed under the mud which would make sense. Our school is grey sand and rubber. It stains his legs but easily washed out. I can't get this out. I scrubbed yesterday. :-(

No of course not, I love him to the moon and back, I just love him being clean too and I can't shift the stains. I don't suppose you could recommend a good stain remover for feathers? I love his little white legs and now they look dirty orange. :-(

6. CharliesAngel

CharliesAngel Well-Known Member

its very difficult to keep feathers white without quite a lot of work although there is a lot you can do; pig oil & sulphur will protect , wash with a good blue horse shampoo and get him to stand and soak a foot at a time in a bucket. Some people swear by fairy liquid. I also know people who apply baby powder as a protective coating every day. Thing is, Im not sure how all this effects the skin round the fetlock/heel. Out little coloured has white socks and they are minging most of the time, the night before a show i can always get them dazzling white again.

SeeingSpots likes this.
  7. SeeingSpots

Fairy liquid did nothing. I scrubbed 3 times and left it on. :(

It's a nightmare lol

8. newforest

newforest I don't want a Prince, I just want his horse

Has he been anywhere there is rust? That's an orange tinge.

9. SeeingSpots

No. :-( It's really annoyed me. Someone said Cowboy Magic is good for stains though.

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties