To hog or not that is the question

cleohorse

Jun 11, 2014
Hey,

So I really want to hog my boy but I am really not sure if he would pull it off or not what do you lot think? :)

This is him with a running plait in

Never hog! I like long flowing manes. My horses mane is about 2ft long now - I could never hog him and would be mortified if someone even pulled it. It's such a personal choice, but horses grow manes for a reason. Warmth in winter and fly control in summer. I feel sorry for horses that have nothing to swat the flies away with.

To be brutally honest I don't think he has the neck to carry it off at the moment. maybe when his topline has built up abit bbut fôr now I wouldn't be hogging.

That said its just one opinion. Someone else might see him differently.

Reactions: tikkitti and Gimp
Personally he doesn't have the neck.

I never understand why people get a cob them take off what nature gave them.

I'd say to look okay hogged (its not my cup of tea as looks go) they need to have a very well developed neck and I'm not thinking he's there yet, though it might be easier to envisage it from a pic without his mane obscuring his neck :)

I'm not personally a fan of hogging. I like manes. My boy's mane has patches all over that have been rubbed by rugs and looks scruffy but I refuse to hog it as he uses it to keep his neck warm and despite being a bit raggy, he likes his mane. He loves a good neck shake after he's had a combo rug on to fluff his mane up.

Your boy is gorgeous by the way. :) xx

Thankyou for all your reply's. That is what I was worried about was him not having the right neck to pull it of. I am not worried about him getting cold as he always wears rugs with necks on when he is out and when it comes to the summer he has a fly mask on all of the time so fly's will not be a worry. The only reason i was thinking of hogging him was because last summer he was sweating under his mane and he hates anyone messing with his mane so it was a pain plaiting it up all the time. I might leave it I don't have many pictures of him without his mane in the picture apart from these pictures. :)

Attachments

• 20150924_185640.jpg
    20150924_185640.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20160207_112237.jpg
    20160207_112237.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 1
Personally I don't think he is chunky enough. I hogged Peds in April last year, I thought he suited it but he just didn't look like my pony so I'm growing it back out. It's starting to flop over at the top now, so if you do go for it know that it takes a loooong time to grow back in!

I wouldnt worry about him sweating under it, theres hardly much there anyway :) hes lovely just the way he is

I wouldn't worry about the sweating either, Jess sweats more under her mane than the other side of her neck but her mane is long enough I can just flip it to the other side to let the air get to that side on really hot days, it doesn't seem to fuss her it's more to make me feel better :) I do put hers in chunky plaits if it's hot and we are doing a particularly long ride and it doesn't take more than a minute or two
image.jpeg

He is so cute and cheeky looking! But I agree that he doesn't have the physique yet to hog.

Those big plaits that Jessey uses are very quick and can stay in for ages in the summer.

Thankyou his mane is normally a lot longer but I pulled it so it is shorter which I think it will do know instead of hogging him :) . Thankyou he is a cheeky boy he is more a like a naughty puppy then a horse, he is only 6 so he will fill out more and mature and bit more so maybe he will suit being hogged later on :)

I hogged mine to try and get it all the same length after she rubbed some parts down to nothing. It didn't really work, the top of the mane has grown back a lot faster than the bottom and it is refusing to flop so now she has about 4 or 5 inches of really butch looking mohawk at the top and about 2 inches at the bottom... hopefully it will sort itself out on the end and I'll learn my lesson to leave well enough alone!

Reactions: SeeingSpots
I never like the look of hogged manes. Long and flowing all the way for me.

Wussy Warmblood chewed half of my coblet's mane off so it looked awful. So I hogged it. She has the neck of a warhorse so that wasn't too bad. But it looked odd hogged with full tail and feathers. I couldn't bring myself to clip any more off so just left it to grow out. Mistake. It takes seconds to run the clippers up some uneven mane and weeks for it to grow back. :rolleyes:.

newrider.com