Time to get back in the saddle.

Cortrasna

Grumpy old nag
Aug 5, 2009
Ireland
Well today the farrier arrived to fit a new set for Dolly and trim the donks. Haven't actually ridden since quite awhile before the last set he fitted but she managed to throw one in the field and cant find it, and I wont ever have an 'odd' shoe replaced with a new one as that puts the four out of kilter to me! Ridiculous I know but one of my odd little quirks I guess.

I haven't actually ridden now for well over 2 months - one half of me can't wait to get back out there but the other half of me is feeling a little apprehensive I have to say. Not like me at all really, but apart from anything else she isn't exactly a leave off for ages and then plod out quietly type of lady. :) . Plus the steroids I was on have caused me quite a bit of weight gain so just don't feel riding fit, or any type of fit come to that - hopefully that will start to shift now I am more active and the riding will help that I would think.

Sorry bit of a grumble combined with bit of a celebration that I can actually now start to ride again - never happy are we? Bet it will be all heavy rain and high winds now for the next week or so - sod's law.:)

I'm exactly the same after I haven't ridden in a while, I get a bit of the "what if's " nagging in my head lol I'm sure you and Dolly will both be glad and enjoy getting out and about again. The weather has been a bit crap recently here , so hopefully it will settle down for another we while or at least enough for you to get back into the swing of it again ;) I could do with a bit of dry weather myself to get some decent riding time :)

@Cortrasna I know just what you mean about not feeling riding fit or any kind of fit, Mr T was feeling exactly the same back in May when we first went to try Zi. (He has a long term condition and takes steroids which make him gain weight, it is a bit of a battle). Anyway, the first couple of rides made him so happy he forgot to mention the muscles he had forgotten existed:p:D. Neither of them do very much other than plod, tho I suspect at some point he will be tempted to have a bit of a canter:Dround the field (only in good weather of course!!). I really hope you get chance to get back on board soon, the weather is a right pain isn't it? I am sure it will feel great when you do:D

I do wish you well Cortrasna - It will surely turn out fine. I went for a bareback lesson tho I hadnt ridden for some weeks - new horse, new teacher and a bit apprehensive. But after the first few steps, it was fine. I am sure it will be the same with you. You know how to calm them down.

I think it has hit us earlier than expected Jessey - heavy rain and high winds already here. :mad:
She's still 705 miles away from the Azores, if you are feeling her already then Monday will be awful. Hopefully that's just a low ahead of Ophelia and you'll get a couple of nice days before she arrives.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Cortrasna - My horses are restored to me - the week after next. Hope you get some calm weather and you will be back in the saddle before me.

Reactions: Cortrasna
Cortrasna - My horses are restored to me - the week after next. Hope you get some calm weather and you will be back in the saddle before me.

Delighted for you Skib - have to say it is highly unlikely for me, looking at the tail end of Ophelia to hit Ireland over the next couple of days. Today has been a wet and windy washout - it declines rapidly over the weekend I believe. :(

Delighted for you Skib - have to say it is highly unlikely for me, looking at the tail end of Ophelia to hit Ireland over the next couple of days. Today has been a wet and windy washout - it declines rapidly over the weekend I believe. :(
It's due here Monday.

Yes its been horrid here today but very warm, a strange combination. Not looking good for us over the next few days. :(

Totally glorious today. Warm with blue sky and sun. Sweaty cob before we popped some poles. Can't recall last ?time we jumped anything.

Well if I can do it woman, you most certainly can aswell! Flipo had a year off as you know, and I very gingerly got back in the saddle three months ago and was feeling quite terrified, like I had returned to the old nerves I had at the start. Thankfully they were short lived and weve resumed our quiet plods around the area.
Let us know how you go, maybe get that hubby or son to wander out as foot soldier for the first little bit, but I'm sure you'll get your sea legs back very soon. Thinking about it is always worse than just doing it!

Reactions: tiamaria lady
newrider.com