Tigger foal's show

joosie

lifelong sufferer of restless brain syndrome
Oct 28, 2004
New Zealand
On Friday we took my boss's broodmare Heroine and her filly Tigger (born 10 June) off to a show. It was run by the stud where her daddy comes from, and all 2012 foals sired by their stallions were eligible. We knew we wouldn't realistically be in with a chance of winning anything, but not only would going out to a show be good experience for Tigger, it's also a handy thing to do with a foal you are trying to sell ;)

Our “raw material”

DSC09631.jpg

DSC09532.jpg

DSC09891.jpg

After we'd entered the show my boss found out that she would be away in Ireland this weekend, so it fell on me and her mum Penny to do it. We were initially worried that we wouldn't be up to standard with the turnout etc, and also that we didn't have the experience to show the foal off properly. However about a month ago the organisers announced a couple of measures they were taking to make it a more level playing field - as some of the entrants would be professional producers and others would be showing amateurs like us.
All the foals would be presented in the ring by a team from the stud, and whilst judging took place the judges would not have the name of the owner or breeder at their disposal (there is a LOT of name-related bias in the Selle Francais world!) All entrants could request to have their mare and foal plaited up by grooms from the stud - we opted for this without hesitation. Plus, in the first round they were splitting the foals into two age groups - those born in March and April, and those born in May and June (and the handful born in July) - meaning that the younger and less-developed foals weren't immediately being judged against those who were up to 4 months more mature.

Friday morning at about 10.30am we loaded them up and headed off to the Haras National at Saint Lo (our local branch of the Selle Francais National Stud) where the show was taking place. We unloaded them in the car park and then had several minutes' walk across the open yards to the mare-and-foal barns. Heroine had competed at Saint Lo a fair bit in her showjumping days, and she seemed to recognise where she was, even though she's been retired for 5 years anf not been to a show venue since. They had a lovely thick straw bed in their loosebox - we gave Heroine a big haynet but she was FAR more interested in eating her bedsheets :giggle: Tigger exchanged noises with a few other foals and then settled down for a snooze.

We had about an hour's wait then, before the plaiting team came and worked their magic. They did a super job with Heroine's unruly hair and somehow managed to get some teeny tiny plaits into Tigger's almost non-existent mane. We attacked them both with hairspray and then stopped for our picnic lunch - our showing time was at 13:42 so we had a bit of time to kill. Then we finished getting the horses ready... baby wipes, baby oil, coat sheen, hoof oil and a LOT of polishing! I had already cleaned Heroine's showing bridle to within an inch of its life, we just had to attach her number and then we were good to go.

The walk from the barn to the arena took a couple of minutes. Heroine was like a different horse to the laid-back, droopy-lipped, scruffy field-kept mare from home - all shiny and neat, walking along "on the bit" with her neck arched, looking all proud and youthful with her little filly trotting along beside her.

DSC00248.jpg

We got to the arena, had a few minutes' wait and then it was time to hand them over to the presentation team. They did an excellent job, and the man leading Heroine was super, not just at doing what he was meant to do but I noticed that he kept giving her little scratches on her neck and talking to her under his breath. And yes, he was a bit dishy too ;) He had to bat Tigger's head away a few times and move her out the way but mostly she just stuck to her mum's side. They looked absolutely super poncing around – I was so mesmerised I almost forgot to get my camera out! Every entrant was being given a free USB key with all the photographer’s photos on, so I took a couple of videos instead.

Trot presentation – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMmAHgbtl8w
Walk / judging – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4oHwuqFlaY

Some of the pics from the photographer (there were about 20 on the USB for each foal, he did a super job!)

EGP_4069.jpg

EGP_4076.jpg

EGP_4079.jpg

EGP_4080.jpg

EGP_4087.jpg

Totally in step with mum!

EGP_4088instepwithmum.jpg

EGP_4094.jpg

EGP_4095.jpg

EGP_4103.jpg

EGP_4105.jpg

Not bad for an old bird!

EGP_4104.jpg

There were 4 judges and they gave each of the 3 sets of marks by holding up big numbered lollypops like on Strictly Come Dancing, don’t know why but I found this very amusing :giggle: The foals were being marked on conformation / physique (including the extent to which they were a typical example of the breed), quality and expression of gait, and overall impression. Tigger got 7s, 7.5s and a couple of 8s. We had no idea how good or bad this was having not watched any other foals, but in the meantime we had a tired foal waiting for us to take her back to bed!

Walk back to the barn – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie0CfD8AYP0

Tired baby!

DSC00254.jpg

Pretty girls

DSC00263.jpg

DSC00258.jpg

DSC00257.jpg

DSC00262.jpg

We settled the girls into their loosebox and then went back to the arena to watch some more foals and see the results. There were 107 foals being judged in the first round, across the 2 age groups. The top 5 fillies and the top 5 colts from each age group would go into the second round on Saturday morning. The results were being put into the computer as they came in, and we could watch them appearing in real time. Eventually Tigger’s scores came up. Unfortunately she wasn’t going to qualify, but we were really pleased to see that she had been able to hold her own. Looking at some of the other foals it was obvious that she couldn’t compete with them, but we took her for the experience and she really was super!

I went back to the barn to take their plaits out, then snoozed on a hay bale for about 45mins while Penny waited to collect Tigger’s scoresheets from the judges. Seems that she mostly lost marks for being light of bone and a bit slender in the neck and chest (SF breeding prefers youngstock fairly solid and “workmanlike” in build), and also lacking expression in her movement. Still an acceptable score though – and when the final results of the first round came up on the website on Friday night, she was only just out of the top 40 :D Out of over 100 foals we did not expect her to be so high up, very good result – and she has taken the whole weekend to recover :giggle:

Wow what an amazing experience for you! And sounds like it was goo value for money getting the plaiting, handling and photos etc!

Tigger didn't look particularly worried at all! What a great foal!

Thats a fantastic way of showing... I needs to be universal !

what a cutie the foal is:inlove:

newrider.com