This happened

Prjsmk

Dec 1, 2017
So the day we had snow none stop all day i went and did prj and then i got home and friend said would i help with her horse (same place) so i said yes and we got there and the poor old girl had a cut on her leg, just above the hoof, didnt look too bad at first! Wasnt bleeding when we got to her but we could see it had been and she didnt seem in any pain, so we didnt panic. We rang the field owner to see if we could stable her and he said u can but u need to empty a stable as they are all full of furniture (none of use them normally) so we went and emptied a stable and went and got stable bedding, luckily a livery round the corner hekped us out with bedding as we couldnt really get anywhere else on the roads!

Did the bed and went to get horse.... Then we seen her and then we pankiced! The blood had started spurting out! And the mare looked really off and weak, luckyily all our huge fields have gates on to each other so we could cut through another field and then through mine to the stables as that took almost an hour because the mares leg was hurting her so much by this point, she was all wobbly and shakey! If we had to go all the way round god knows how long itd have took! We was going through knee deep snow! Snow still coming down thick and fast, trail of blood behind us :(

finally got her to the stable, vet was already on his way, the wait still felt like the longest wait ever, the mare kept almost falling over, i bandaged it untill he got there to try and stem the bleeding, which worked well, by the time he arrived (from quite a distance too) it wasnt bleeding so badly, he had to cut hair and skin out of the cut and clean it all and bandage it, couldnt stitch it as he said stitches wont hold there. Was much worse than we though, as goes round the back too!

The mare had a bute injection, sedation so the vet could clean and bandage properly and an instant working anti biotic jab and then before he left an anti biotic that stays in the system a week. Left us with bandages, anti b spray, bute and powder anti biotics.

The daft mare wont have the bute, not in feed, not hiddin an apple or carrot, shes too smart! We tried syringing it in with water but when a 16.2 mare puts her head up highs its a difficult task and we ended up wearing most of it but she isnt in pain now, shes weight bearing on it and yesterday i cleaned it and she stood like a rock.

The pics where its looking a bit rotten are from yesterday, it happened weds the get said change the badage sat. So i have done. Cleaned it with salty water, left it open to dry (as advised) then sprayed with anti b spray before re bandaged.

we are just a bit concerned about the look of it, so what do u all think? It doesnt smell bad and theres no heat in the leg and the mare is fine eating/drink.

We have to rebandage tommorow and we are going to use manuka honey on it. Something i used before for a fly bite that turned in to a hole! Had it almost healed within two days after over a week of trying other things so we are using that tommrow (if we manage to find some that is)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    702.9 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    454.4 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    692.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Gosh that's a wound and a half! Poor girlie :( Hope she heals quickly.
Yep, shes 26 and has arthritus too which is being managed really well on global herbs old age (gone from hobbling around to bolting across the field!!!) shes retired now and just enjoys a life of luxury but shes accident prone!! First time my horse got there him and the mare jumped the gate in to the next field, he was a lively 5 year old and made the jump she hit the gate and flipped over!!! Cut her bAck legs, the horses from the next field go in to her field because someone nicked the chain off the gate! And she got her legs all grazed up then (possibly fighting with them) but they was only superficial cuts, this was a bloody bad one!

I wouldn't put Manuka honey on it without the vet's instruction, it can cause wounds to over granulate & if that happens you'll have proud flesh that needs to be cut off. It is good stuff, but it isn't suitable for every wound. Also you want it to heal from the inside out to reduce the risk of infection being trapped inside.

If she was mine & I had any doubts about a wound of that size & depth I'd have the vet back out, any problems are easier dealt with sooner than later & it often works out cheaper in the long term too.

Well done for dealing with it so well in difficult circumstances. For future reference Danilon is often more readily accepted than bute as it isn't as bitter, or failing that mixing the bute into something like apple puree or a thin icing sugar paste makes something more easy to syringe than water because it doesn't tend to trickle out the mouth as easily so if you get it far enough back it goes down. with a difficult bigger horse there's a knack to it - I know, I had years of daily syringing of drugs into a 16.2 - but a large part of it is attitude because once they realise you aren't giving up they get over themselves.

Reactions: Trewsers
Lots of healing vibes for her. Looks awful. Also agree, danilon is easier to disguise, all of ours will eat it mixed in with a small feed.

Ouch, looks like a wire cut? I'd probably stick with the vets treatment initially too, as @carthorse says you won't want it healing too quickly if there's infection.

i had the same with a wire cut on the heel/pastern. We jagged with antibiotics, cleaned twice a day with saline and sprayed with blue antibiotic spray. Our vet thought it wouldn’t come right but it did. I wouldn’t say the mare was ever 100% sound but she was also a veteran and was quite happy. You are lucky its this time of year with no flies to contend with.

ETA i wouldn’t manuka honey it just now. Id give it a good 3 weeks of doing what you are and then re-assess. Take regular pictures of it to track the progress.

The vet already said manuka honey is good, he mentioned it before we did.

we have tried disguising the bute in all sorts, shes not the sort of horse u can have attitude with as she gets stressed easy, she isnt keen on being handled by anyone apart from her own who is in her 60s and unable to do everything so i am helping and trying to stay on the horses good side and when she yank her head up high i can barely reach to syringe it in, or far enough back and hold her too, she nearly takes me off my feet aswell, little 7 stone me and big her lol! Well its looking better today, didnt get pics but the bandage was soaked from her pee so we cleaned again and put a new one on, got keep it bandaged for a week then leave the bandage off and she can be back in the field saturday, although she may have exploded before then! Shes not been stabled for 9 years and was fine up untill today shes now pacing in a circle, weve gave her some boredom buster licks and food in a treat ball but not helping

If you can get a hold of vetalintex gel it is brilliant. It actually keeps wounds moist and open as such healing them from the inside out rather than outside in.
Echi the well done on dealing with it and agree if vet is back out ask for danilon its far easier to give them.

Reactions: Prjsmk
The vet already said manuka honey is good, he mentioned it before we did.

we have tried disguising the bute in all sorts, shes not the sort of horse u can have attitude with as she gets stressed easy, she isnt keen on being handled by anyone apart from her own who is in her 60s and unable to do everything so i am helping and trying to stay on the horses good side and when she yank her head up high i can barely reach to syringe it in, or far enough back and hold her too, she nearly takes me off my feet aswell, little 7 stone me and big her lol! Well its looking better today, didnt get pics but the bandage was soaked from her pee so we cleaned again and put a new one on, got keep it bandaged for a week then leave the bandage off and she can be back in the field saturday, although she may have exploded before then! Shes not been stabled for 9 years and was fine up untill today shes now pacing in a circle, weve gave her some boredom buster licks and food in a treat ball but not helping

Attitude doesn't mean aggressive or over-assertive, it means quietly business like, a calm belief that it will be done with the minimum fuss. A stressy horse will find this reassuring because it means you're keeping everything low key & reassuring - if you're getting her stressed you're doing it wrong & need to change your attitude. My lad could easily have me off my feet & barely notice, but we came up with a way that worked for us which was no headcollar, no pressure on his face just steadying it with my hand on the side & then be very quick about doing it & following up with a treat & scratch. You just need to watch & play around to find what works.

If the bandage is getting wet & dirty then cover it with something waterproof to keep it clean, you really don't want the wound contaminated.

I've never had a vet recommend manuka honey that early in the healing process, it seems to be something kept for later on.

As I said before, I'd be getting the vet back to look at it again.

I kne what u meant, I havent got an attitude with her at all, im very quiet and calm, iv handled my own wary extremly nervous horse so i know not to go all guns blazing! She doesnt know me, i dont usually handle her at all so she isnt keen, but if i diont do it then there is no one else to even attempt it! Its easy to judge and say what to do when u havent met the horse, im trying my best to help someone out while taking care of my own horse and my mums two horses three times a day!

@mystiquemalaika il look that up thankyou, the vet isnt due back out unkess we need him so probably wont get any danelon iv drilled the middle out of carrots and tipped the powder in, its kind of working

Oh and not allowed to put anyhing over the bandage as it will sweat (vet advice) its just lightly bandaged to keep stable bedding out of it

Molasses always seems to work for me when I need to give bute. No advice on the wound as I've not dealt with one like that before so wouldn't like to tell you something wrong, looks a nasty one! Hope she heals quickly though.

Molasses always seems to work for me when I need to give bute. No advice on the wound as I've not dealt with one like that before so wouldn't like to tell you something wrong, looks a nasty one! Hope she heals quickly though.
We tried it, she redused shes refusing all feeds and treats now only eating haylage! Shes clever il give her that lol

One pic from today, wont let me add the other, todays the second bandage change so on vets advice leave it to air for an hour first bandage change then a few hours second bandage change, so bandage off first thing this morning and il go put a new bandage on this evening. Looks a bit gruesome but no heat or bad smell so i assume thats a good sign. Left her with a small stable bed so no nasties get stuck to her foot

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    723.2 KB · Views: 11
i searched back and found a pic of minstrels :( This healed to just a grey scar :) It was a nightmare as it was summer and we had loads of flies. I left it open - no dressing. Just kept it clean by flushing out with saline solution and a wide bore syringe. We were advised no manuka as you want it to dry and crust over.

xII4xYR.jpg

Reactions: Prjsmk
That looks nasty. Im just doing what the vet said as shes not my horse so just following orders lol, if it was me id leave it open most of the time really but he said after third bandage dont put another one on, so that will be weds i think, cant remember untill i look at what he wrote down, waiting on call ack from the vet now to explain the situation with the medicines and see if he wants to give her another anti biotic but dont know what he wil say as he did give her one that he said stays in the system for a week

Reactions: CharliesAngel
newrider.com