The Mare Who No-One Wanted.......

Well it may be too far forward. I am a tack dork after all :rolleyes:

One day I need someone to give me a basic lesson in how to tack my horses up properly!! It should fit her though I hope as we are on saddle number 2 already!

Oh sorry KP nut, it wasn't a criticism, just an observation, you know more about horses and tack than I ever will I should imagine.

Well Amber-No-Name-Yet continues to impress me. She is SOOOO gentle and such a try-er. I am riding about twice a week and doing a couple of groundwork sessions. She is still weak and often unbalanced, but she is much straighter. I have steering!!! Just working in walk and trot at the moment. Trying to find someone to hack out with. The girls are too young and I have no friends yet on my new yard..... But I'll get out and about soon I am sure. She really is my ideal type, I think. Forward thinking and willing but calm and relaxed! Curious rather than fearful. And soft as butter to handle. Gorgeous girlie.

Sounds like she has settled now then. Lovely to read. You're a smitten kitten this time.....

Reactions: KP nut
I really am! I keep waiting for The Problem that explains why a very well bred horse with a lovely temperament and good conformation has never found a home and was left in a field. I've had a couple of lessons with the YO who wonders if she has had an accident. She was sooo crooked and sooo weak. There is no sign of soreness now though so we can rebuild from square one. She's turning into rather an expensive 'cheap' horse though - what with shoes she likes pulling off, vast quantities of quality hard feed, physio and an unbelievably messy stable requiring almost a full clean out of her bedding daily. She's not box walking, she's just an extraordinarily lavish wee-er and poo-er! And she likes to make full use of the facilities. No neat corner like Max and Oscar. Not to mention vet bills for which she was not insured!!!! I am used to hardy, good-doing barefoot natives so this is a bit of a shock to the system. She's worth it though.:p:p

Really enjoyed reading about Amber. It sounds like you've ended up with a diamond in the rough there despite the expense in vet bills etc. I love the change you can see from the photos. She's a bonnie little (or very big) thing now isn't she! xx

Another progress photo.... The first 2 are the 2 earlier pics - the first when I first got her, then in March. The third is from today.

I think she is muscling up nicely. She is being worked 5 times a week in walk and trot. May begin canter work next week.......

20170117_150833.jpg 20170316_145321.jpg 20170504_121634.jpg

'A bit weedy' is being kind! But I am pleased at how well she's looking and how powerful she feels underneath me. She used to feel a bit like she'd fall over in a stiff breeze! Still a long way to go though. She needs to muscle up a lot more over her topline. But it's going in the right direction. I do really, REALLY like her. I think she is going to be great.

She's a solid, good looking mare for sure. I don't know much about conformation but she seems to have a good shoulder and a good length of rein and possibly a jumper's bum! Sturdy legs and even feet too. It's amazing how much like a weight carrier she looks now compared to a few months ago.

Well for completeness sake, I need to put this here as well as in a thread.....
First ever comp and first WIN with 65.86 :p:cool:

Only Intro A but still totally shocked and utterly ecstatic. Not bad for a horse who was a wibbly. wobbly giraffe a few weeks ago.

Next step.... CANTER!

Reactions: Jessey
To spoil her I have splashed out on some Haas Eqclusive brushes for her. She'll look even more gorgeous now!!! And a nice comfy anatomical bridle. Hope she likes it.

I have really enjoyed this thread, well done you on persevering with her- you reap what you sow - she's now giving back and no doubt will continue to do so in spades - many would just have given up and passed her on (or worse)

Cantered today, hurray. I cantered her once before pre strangles and she was very flat and fast. But her balance has improved so much that the canter really felt quite reasonable. Ish!

She was calm & obedient too which is a bonus. The first few canters are always slightly nerve wracking I think. But she seemed pretty chilled out about it all.

Desperately trying to find a hacking buddy. I dont want her to get sour by only really doing schoolwork. Might end up having to go alone :(

newrider.com