The Lottie Diaries

Stubben was far too long 17.5" Albion is a friends so saddle fitter not seen it but I could tell myself it wasn't the best fit but didn't slip. Hold on will post some photos. Wouldn't be surprised if she lacks muscle more one side, I think it's quite common, work is same she's been in for last few years, hacking and hunting.

This is the Albion K2 16.5" is a friends saddle I just tried on her last night didn't slip
20171025_183350.jpg
20171025_183346.jpg

The ideal 17" impala slips to the right
20171001_084903.jpg
And the stubben which looks awful and was too long but didn't slip
20170905_183419.jpg

It doesn't slip much just a little bit that leaves you feeling wonky. Saddle fitter doesn't like shimming as I mentioned that to him. Don't really want to get someone else as it's his job to fix it. Just feel frustrated as weeks in and I still haven't got a saddle that fits. She's not even an awkward shape.

Last edited:
How does fitter deal with a non symmetrical horse?
Are you slightly out? Just a random thought that are you straight to start physio wise I mean.

How does fitter deal with a non symmetrical horse?
Are you slightly out? Just a random thought that are you straight to start physio wise I mean.

Can't remember what he said now. She doesn't look different either side. Think the saddle is more of a problem than the horse because the other 2 didn't slip sideways. Don't think so as does the same when friend rides her. He's coming out Tuesday just fed up of it now especially after spending so much money.

Yes, Ziggy's slipped whatever we were doing and even if the girth was tight (I am terrible at not tightening it properly).

Since my RI has been riding him and insisting on him going correctly it has just stopped.

@Jane&Ziggy ahh ok I will see what the saddle fitter says as some saddles don't slip on her. And also not sure how I can get her to work any different, she marches every where, her trot is most horses canter! And I don't want to get into schooling her if I'm honest. We like the lama runaway pony thing haha!

Some just have a big stride. Mine has rubbish walk but everything else is decent.
I would be fine with that jump, we would just round it. :)

My old connie had an awful walk in the school, but used to stride out better on hacks. Her paces are huge, she really uses her short legs to cover as much ground as possible. There's a small one at the side I'm sure you'd be fine with, you know what they say just kick on!

We went hunting again this weekend, opening meet, brilliant day we had a few good runs and Lottie jumped everything I pointed her at. I say I pointed it was more it was in her path and she just cleared it haha, I was more of a passenger.

She seems to have turned even more turbo charged since swapping the haylage and she already has plenty of energy :p so I think we're going to put her on hay.

Saddle doesn't slip in walk or trot it's when I canter and gallop hopefully it can be sorted tomorrow night.

Lottie showed her wary side last night, I always make her stand on her bed whilst I sort rugs out when she comes in. She went to take a step forward towards the hay so I raised my arm towards her front (I was stood by the belly straps) to tell her to stand and not move forward and she flew to the side of the stable. Whatever has happened she still remembers and doesn't like people making sudden arm movements. She's so easy to handle I don't understand why anyone would have been rough with her :(

It might not be that anyone has actually done anything, it could be something they had hold of that scared her? Or just quick movement in general their eyes are not great in dark stables.
Mine is scared of one particular wheelie bin, my fault entirely I frightened her accidently. She took a long time to forgive that particular bin.

@newforest she has scars on her head,and behind ears and also some on her flanks. I was told before I bought her that girl who brought her back from Ireland had said she hadn't had the best past and hadn't come from the best place hence why she can be wary. Vet also thinks her tongue injury could be from a bit with wire on it, it's so bad :( I'm surprised she didn't loose half her tongue. The first time I saw it I was so shocked!

Saddle fitter thinks it's because they have used felt as well wool when flocking the saddle so the panel is hard and not moulding to the horse. They have started doing this as more people want to feel close contact. So it's going back to Ideal and they are going to re stuff it all with wool then hopefully that should do the trick. Fingers crossed!

Which if it's hard and not moulding means felt doesn't mix well with wool.

Yes he said mine and another are the first 2 he's had from ideal with the felt and he's not keen on them. He said if she was TB with a flat back it would sit better but because she has shape it's moulding and dropping onto the horse how wool flocking would do. It's basically too light in the middle so that's why it's slipping.

Well I'm glad he had a helpful suggestion! What will you ride on in the meantime? I can imagine you hunting bareback, you are brave enough!

newrider.com