The grass must have started to come in

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
I've still got Jess and hank on the standing hay (strip grazed), but Jess has filled out in the last few days massively, she's gone from nice and trim to solid/chunky even with a reduction in the hay they get. We've had a week of day time temps hitting double figures almost every day and that's kicked the grass into growing mode. Everything has started to spring this week, the trees have buds on and crocus' are popping their heads up. Roll on summer :D

Reactions: squidsin
I can see the grass growing in the centre section where the boys are, but they're still begging for food!

It seems a bit slow on the track - perhaps it needs a bit more time to get started when it was grazed down so hard

I can see the grass growing in the centre section where the boys are, but they're still begging for food!

It seems a bit slow on the track - perhaps it needs a bit more time to get started when it was grazed down so hard
Mine are still begging for hay constantly, that new grass is calorie rich but doesn't offer much bulk I guess.

Some parts of my track are thick with almost luminous green grass, I vary the track a little through the summer and I shut off large sections at the beginning of September to let it grow during the autumn flush as it has been hard grazed for the last 2 summers and only got rested in the winter, other parts are hardly recovering, the bottom where it was wet/flooded a lot last summer and all winter has no grass left but a lovely covering of moss :rolleyes:

I'll be glad when ours is growing. Harvey isn't thin, but he's lost a bit in the last few weeks and he definitely needs to fill out more.

I walked around my track today and it's certainly very slow to get going, whereas the big centre section which they're currently grazing is growing away. Go figure!

I have little green shoots coming up through the muddy puddles around my track, so it is growing...I so need it to stop raining for a while so I can get my fields and track harrowed and rolled.

Midweek Marley had his first green pooh of this year, it was nice and formed not runny, good consistency lol So the grass is deffo growing more than it looks..

Reactions: Jessey
I don't think it really stopped here. But I am still saving two fields for summer. They have their winter field and it's still pretty green - mean me making them do a bit longer!!

newrider.com