Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

The damage a little mouse can do

Discussion in 'Ringside Chat' started by MrC, Aug 11, 2017.

1. MrC

MrC https://m.facebook.com/MrKiasLife/

Well I'm pissed :mad: and it resulted in this

IMG_4634.JPG
    IMG_4635.JPG
    IMG_4636.JPG

So basically I had planned to go through my tack boxes and tidy some things up. Go to the first set ( red boxes) and pulled them out and notice a hole in the bottom one. The one that contained that last of my sentimental keepsakes :( so I found a hat that my Papa and Uncle bought me (both no longer here) absolutely destroyed, I no longer wore it as yes it still fine to ride in but not compete in but it had too much value to me to possibly fall off and have it damaged. Now it's going in the bin :( I honestly sat and cried :(

IMG_4651.JPG IMG_4653.JPG IMG_4652.JPG

So I pulled everything apart and tidied the place up. The hat has gone in the bin and I'm afraid all the little mice I found had been disposed of permanently including a nest of babies. Yes you can call me harsh but I have very few things left that they have given me through theft and life taking things and vermin are vermin.

On a good note I gutted the tack room, only the stuff at the back is mine but I swept the whole thing out and put people stuff that was on the floor back exactly where I got it (took pics before lol ) I then moved onto the area outside Kia's stable and then my feed area so that's me pretty much set for winter, all I have to do is put my hay pallets down and stack my hay when they come in and fill my feed bins and I'm good to go :)

IMG_4648.JPG IMG_4649.JPG IMG_4650.JPG

And a massive bag of horsey washing to get rid of the mouse piss smell and piles and piles of poo.

Don't let anyone keep feed in your tack room.......

IMG_4647.JPG

#1 MrC, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  2. Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Ziggy Learning together!

Oh noooooo! Did the mice actually gnaw through your storage boxes? How awful! And they do stink...

MrC likes this.
  3. orbvalley

orbvalley Well-Known Member

Sad to read how much heart ache a tiny mouse can cause! Glad you carried on regardless & achieved what you set out to do , well done you.

MrC likes this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. MrC

Thank you, it's amazing the damage, I had to throw out a rug and a fleece numnah as well and I've a pile of stitching to do as they pretty much played house in the box and it's contents :(

Yep they did lovely little mouse shaped hole, it could have been a crack before they set about it I don't know but everything was disgusting and I mean absolutely howling of piss. I was gagging packing things away to be washed :(

6. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Oh that's a shame you losing stuff you wanted to keep for special reasons. A few years ago I had similar at our old house. They attacked Joe's Newmarket fleece which reduced me to tears as I wa going to keep it and it was hard looking at it so I stashed it away. Mine had gnawed through one of the b & q heavy duty trunks.

MrC likes this.
  7. newforest

newforest Opinion, a view not always based on knowledge.

The blighters. Such a shame add they do cause havoc if they choose to make a nest.
    We periodically pull everything out and sweep.
    We had rats once. Fast and fat!

MrC likes this.
  8. MrC

Yep I do for rugs and things as those are on the shelf as you can see in the photos bur for the things in boxes you think the buggers can't get in. So I threw out that box with the hole and I've taken the sentimental things home and just left the rest where they are. I hope they don't start chewing the bottom one again or I'll have to ask if I can out down traps :(

orbvalley likes this.
  9. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

Bastard things :mad: they do so much damage for ones so small. I think I'm going to have to put some traps down in the arc as I noticed a few poops on my feed bin the other day even though I'm very careful not to drop any feed and sweep daily, I refuse to let them get a foothold in there.

MrC and orbvalley like this.
  10. chunky monkey

chunky monkey Well-Known Member

The rats chewed one of my driving harnesses, which was hanging on the wall. They seemed to like the oiled leather. It now lives in my car to keep it safe from vermin. I have even seen them scale the wall vertically so nothings safe.
    I have to say my space in the tack room is tidy but my YO has rugs and bits all over the floor. The mice ran out from the rug the other day, so there probably nesting in that.

MrC likes this.
  11. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Yes they can scale a wall, the rats at our old house were a real pest!

MrC likes this.
  12. MrC

Yep I don't leave things on The floor unless it's in boxes however that didn't exactly help me this time. :(

Rats are a hellish nuisance those I hunt with a Vengeance and I don't stop until most of them are gone then I'll get the rest later. They love scrambled egg so it's easy to get them into traps or to eat bait with it, just have to make sure you have shut dogs and cats away.

Jessey likes this.
  13. Star the Fell

Star the Fell Well-Known Member

Is it true that if you have mice, you don't get rats in the same place?
    Saw a lovely little mouse in the straw shed yesterday. Can cope with mice I think they're cute, but hate rats. Don't want to put poison down if it's only going to be mice in there.

MrC likes this.
  14. MrC

I think you won't have mice with rats as rats will eat mice if they can get hem and certainly destroy a mouse nest full of babies, they will even take birds nests if they can Get them.

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties