The Chronicles of a New Rider - Part XXXIV

Pedro

... and Pimpao!
Oct 12, 2000
Visit site
Friday, 2 February

While the choice of school horse for the previous lesson had left me particularly satisfied, the same was not true tonight. My teacher was Astérix, it's not like I don't like him, or feel that my lessons with him are less productive (just the opposite in fact!), it's just that with Astérix I get less results with a lot more work :). That is all part of the learning and I specially like having the possibility of ridding several different horses. From the over-eager Pipas to the sensitive Mefisto, slow Jubileu and lazy Lord, crafty Catraia and dodgy uncomprehending Astérix. Never the less, lessons on "slow" or "difficult" horses are (understandably) more taxing than lessons on more willing and more schooled ones.

Anyway, we went to the arena to start the lesson. Today Francisco had a couple of new challenges to us, both consisting in doing things against the instinct or experience of the horses. The first one consisted in going down the length of the arena in trot while one third of the width away from the closest side. Poor Astérix, used to the support of the wall, was at a loss to what was expected of him. First he assumed we were changing rein so he drifted towards the far side, when I pulled him the other way he concluded that the manoeuvre had been a dud and I now wanted him to get back in track. When I corrected him again he really lost it and we wriggled uncontrollably all the way down :)! The third or forth attempt was a lot better, he was getting some notion of the objective of the exercise, and I was using more leg and less hand to keep the trajectory.
The second exercise was interesting - in theory! We formed a trotting circle on one side of the arena, then each one on is turn would leave the circle and make a lap around the arena in canter, entering the circle on the other side. When that pair entered the circle again, the next in line would leave the circle and repeat the exercise. Looks simple doesn't it? Yes it does, but no it isn't! First of all the horses would resent leaving the circle and going away from their friends, secondly they were not thrilled of having to work harder while the others just trotted leisurely around ("Why do I have to canter? They are not cantering! They are just trotting, it's not fair! Not fair!"). With the other horses I've been ridding I thing I could get over it, but I have a difficulty in communicating with Astérix. I think that in all the times I've ridden him (not exactly that many - but you get the point) I have not been able to accomplish one decent transition to canter while we are alone or in front of the line. Part of the problem comes from him being the least schooled horse around, the rest comes from my inability to give him clear indications. We always end up racing around in trot instead of cantering. The first time around in this new exercise none of us was able to get the horses to canter, the other tries went better, and the third time around I managed to get us into canter - past halfway around the arena! After that we did some canter in single file on both reins. This time, because I was last in line, we didn't have any communication problems and Astérix cantered when I asked and he saw the others in front doing the same.

With the lesson finished we proceeded to take the horses to their boxes and clear them of the tack. When I finished I noticed Mefisto's box was empty, getting back to the arena I found out that Francisco had taken him with just a halter and was working him loose on the arena with just the lunge whip. The arena being small enough to pose for a round pen, we were all treated to Mefisto's display of equestrian nobility. What a trot! He looked so pleased and so proud, trotting around the arena. He went past us, the three leaning on the railings, with a high action to the trot, tail held high flowing with the motion. His head well up, slightly sideways, looking at us as if to say "Hey! Look at me! I'm smashing!" - and he was! The four of us (Francisco no less than the others) just stood there drooling over Mefisto. What a sight! ;)

Pedro Fortunato
Lisbon, Portugal

That was great

Hi Pedro,well I really enjoyed reading this one,I can compare notes so much,I like to analyse how i'm doing, its so good to see how you have advanced and think about the horse and its behaviuor,do you now find it fun developing a understanding with the horse aswell as learning to ride,
I certianly do,I have finaly realised that some times you have to be a little tough or you can get taken advantage of,
{more like the horse is taking the mickey,I think Wally dropped a hint once,but I ignored it,I should have known better}I don't have a problem with a stubborn horse because the staff where I ride can jump on said horse and it will do all that is asked,and they are not using a whip or harsh methods,its a case of they are communicating better,watching them do quick transitions and turns effertlessly with any of their horses makes all take note.I suspect the staff get very brased off with the attitude of some so called experts,whos fixed ideas and methods only seem too confuse,have you noticed that some horsey people can be very clique{touchy}Some times it seems if you are not born into it, you can't possibly be in it,we have loads of that sort over here.
Have you read Heathers book,{I'm just into the 1st chapters},if so,have you tried the hand and finger positions with the reins,my favourite horse has a very sensitive mouth,so the reins are always on the slack side{its always the case what ever horse i'm on},also have you tried holding your head more up right looking ahead and just rotating it a little,and turning your shoulders a little when making turns,and using your lower back muscles,I have only just started to try these methods,but was very impressed,even with the so called iron mouth trekking centre horses{very, very bad joke,hope Lisa their owner never reads it}hope you don't mind all these questions Pedro,my friends are car and bike buffs zzzzzz,and the staff at the riding centre have limited time,but try their best.
Best regards from Fred.
PS:the weather was only bad last weekend,so for us it was on the bright side!!

Fred,

I know what you mean, I now find myself more aware of the differences in personality between the different horses, and how to better deal with each of them. Some might teach me how to better absorb a more powerful or more choppy motion, others teach me to predict evasions and to act preventively, etc. I feel I'm not only learning how to ride (that's not the hardest part) I'm learning how to work with horses (which is a lifelong task).

Fortunately, here we don't have many of the ridding-snob breed, mostly because the school owner, Francisco, doesn't have the patience to deal with that type of people. He as made a point of creating and keeping a relaxed, tolerant, atmosphere at the school. He insists that riding takes effort, dedication and humility but also that anyone can learn if he/she applies himself/herself to it.

I read Heather's book cover to cover before I started with ridding lessons :)! That's an old computer science habit... anyway, I always hold the reins like Heather says (that's the normal way around here at least) and I strive to use only the ring finger to check the reins - "strive" mind you! But let me ask you, are you by any chance a psychic? I hadn't tried the methods you described by the time I read your reply in Tuesday, but just guess what part of yesterday's lesson was all about :D!

I have the same problem as you regarding my friends, none of them as ever touched a horse let alone ride one. Because we all have different hobbies we arrived at an understanding: They hear me out when I lecture them about my last ridding experience, I hear them out when they talk about cars, house buying, martial arts, whatever! Quid Pro Quo! Nevertheless, it is still very one directional. I talk, they listen and make occasional questions - not what I'd call an engaging conversation!

The last few days it has rained like crazy here. Flooding everywhere for the nth time these last two months! The arena was all nice and dry last Friday, but yesterday part of it was a swamp again :( ...

Pedro Fortunato

Pedro,
What a great idea, writing about your lessons. It probably gives you a great chance to go over what you learned and really store it in your head. The only thing I kept track of when I started riding was the horses I had ridden. In total now there is over 50!! That has taken almost 10 years to accumulate though. And when I look back at the horses I rode I can remember all the things that those horses taught me:) Good luck with your riding cant wait to hear what happens next. Erin

Psychic?

Hi Pedro,Ive lost count how many people have asked me that one,but I don't believe in all that stuff, but admit it can be spooky.At work they consider me intuitive,this again can be spooky,I would never relie on it though, it does help
though when your on a mareish mare!!!lots in fact...:eek:
see ya.
Hope the rain has stopped,we had a good afternoon on the horses today,it was very windy,but not the horses for a change... :D

[Edited by FRED on 11th Feb 2001 at 07:19 PM]

newrider.com