The Chronicles of a New Rider - Part XVII

Pedro

... and Pimpao!
Oct 12, 2000
Visit site
Hi!
After all I had the time to complete last Friday's chronicle and yesterday's too. See below to find out why!

Wednesday, 6 December

This lesson began, like most do, with me sneaking out of the office by five o'clock.
I went home, where I arrived a little past six. With some twenty minutes to change I proceeded to the first highlight of every lesson. When preparing for a lesson, I pick up the large plastic box where I keep all my riding stuff, drop it in the middle of the room, open the lid and take a deep breath. That horse smell melts me like butter on a hot day (I'll have to try sleeping with the box open the next time I'm home alone :)).
Already conveniently inspired, I proceeded to change clothes and pack half-chaps, helmet, gloves and crop into an old school backpack. Today I had a windbreaker over me and the backpack, plus an umbrella. I always wear a pair of jeans over the jodhpurs - it's a twenty minute walk to the school and I don't want to be sexually harassed :)!

The way to the school was the same as ever, with the only difference that it was raining, so I had to dodge car splashes. When I came into view of the school I found it odd that there was no class in progress. OK, maybe they were afraid of the rain and stayed comfortably at home. As I was passing by the arena I noticed that there were poodles inside the covered arena (which is open on the sides). No problem, nothing much for sure! No one was in sight so I went for the bar, where I usually take the jeans off and put in the rest of the equipment. I opened the door to find Francisco, his wife and his two daughters inside. Eight eyes and four mouths opened in mild surprise. My entrance was received with the comments "Just look who has arrived!" from one of the daughters and "Are you crazy?" from Francisco.

When a small storm is passing over Portugal, the rain has been pouring down continuously for hours and the wind has gusts strong enough to fire car alarms. When the main bridges in Lisbon have restrictions upon vehicles allowed to cross, the ports are closed and the Civil Protection Service is issuing mild warnings to the population and is on the first stage of alert. When all this is happening I should not infer that lessons will carry on as usual! :D

Since I was there I used the opportunity to paid this month's fee. The system used at the this school (and common elsewhere) is for you to pay the twelfth month's fee over the first ones (first three in this case). So, according to this, today I was paying the last extended fee. Francisco looked at the money, looked at me with a puzzled expression and asked if I was still paying the extra. I said I was, this was to be the last time. He was surprised I had only been there for the last two months "I thought you had been around for longer!". I thought about replying "Yeah, I stay around after lessons so much that you have seen me at least four months worth!"! :-D

I ended up helping take care of the horses, which with all the driving rain and wind was, for once, really helpful. After we had closed up for the night I said my goodbyes and was about to leave, but Francisco was having none of it. Upon knowing I lived twenty minutes away he reinstated is concerns about my mental health and offered me a lift. As much as I insisted I was fine walking the distance, he was unrelenting. So I stayed a while longer as he finished up. No wonder he feels I've been around for longer than I have :D!

Pedro Fortunato

http://www.geocities.com/pedrofortunato/nr.html - Photos from my 7th lesson
http://www.geocities.com/pedrofortunato/nr2.html

Just to let everyone know Pedro has kidly offered his articles for republishing as a series of web pages so you can read the whole series of chronicles in order without having to search back through the older messages. I'm very nearly finished formatting them and I'll put them up in a couple of days time.

Look forward to reading them. Have you thought of publishing - with permission - highlights from the site. Thoughts of a New Rider or somesuch. Suitably selected they would be hilarious. Perhaps the proceeds could go to the Judy fund. How is she by the way?

HI Pedro,

I know that you are having a bad time in Portugal, because Suzi is here with me and we are having the same- terrible floods locally and 90mph gales. It's all Suzi's fault- we are convinced that she brought the weather over with her in her suitcase! Even on the news, it was announced that the storms were coming straight over from Portugal- well you can just jolly well have them back!

And as for that Suzi, what a fibber! Trying to make out that she was just some real novice rider, fairly hopeless, in desperate need of help. Suzi is actually a very effective, talented rider who with a bit more technique could be an extremely good dressage rider.Built like a willow wand, she is the ideal shape too!

All she needed was reassurance, and clarification of what she was supposed to be doing/trying to achieve, and with my help to do just that, she has ridden my Lipizzaner today through all of his lateral work,and my Prix St. Georges horse, she achieved her first flying changes.

So, next time she posts about being a hopeless novice, don't believe her!!

Seriously both Suzi and Helen who has also been on this workshop, have been a real pleasure to teach. Pedro, you and Suzi will get on like a house on fire if you do meet up- you share a similar sense of humour!

I hope to be back over the first week in May, so maybe can meet up with you both then.

Heather

newrider.com