That question again! Straw or shavings??

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
Well. As part of the deal in winter we pay slightly more and get adlib straw included. However I have never really got on with straw. Always been a shavings person. Felt straw had its place. But sox would eat it. Also I would be mucking out before work and I cant be smelling of straw while I am at work.
The YO said I could have shavings for sox if needed, mainly due to if he came down with lami I already have a supportive bed... Plus I find it much cleaner then straw and it doesn't smell as much. Though I am wanting to save some money, shavings aren't cheap. Also I struggle to get to grips with straw....

The only thing was if I was going with straw I was going to do straw bed and do the rest of his stable with mats Though I would have a few matts left over and not to sure where to store them. Though if I am going wih shavings I will need more matts. His stable is about 18ft by 14ft

I love straw (insert little dancing icon here:p) but sadly up here we can only get it at certain times of the year, so atm my little herd are on Bedmax which is costing Mr T and I a small fortune:oops:
However, I do understand the part about not wanting to go into work smelling of straw:plol (mind you, I can think of worse smells:p:cool: I had a co-worker who had an "interesting" odour:eek:). Could you buy one of those painting and decorating suits to pop on over your work gear in a morning? Might look a bit odd, but hey, all horsey folk have their quirks!!!:D
Could you do a combo of shavings and straw??

we matted 2/3rds of stable and then have 1/3 shavings on that - use 1 bale a week approx , only 1/2 bale for the small pony stable - you don't need deep bed and banks with the matting down. we use bedmax we had to change from straw due to COPD/allergy

Being honest I prefer straw, cheaper and I don't find it hard to muck out (might just be the amount of years I've been on it) however like yourself I muck out in the morning and I just don't have time to have a shower before work so I use shavings due to the lack of smell. Kia's stable is outside facing so it gets plenty of air.

If I go back to a 9-5 job locally then I may put him back on straw as I would have plenty of time to muck out and go back to my house to have a shower :) and his bed would get plenty of airing being up all day.

I'm a straw person! Much cheaper and think you can make much nicer beds. I muck out 2 beds every morning in winter, where latex clothes, get changed in tack room, use body spray and wash hands thoroughly when I get to work. Hope I don't smell :eek: I have had straw picked out my hair my the manager though lol.

I don't use mats with straw, I find they don't really work very well the wee just runs underneath and makes them smelly and horrible. I have deep beds and take out the wet every day. Once you get used to it it's quick to do.

newrider.com