Teaching a pony to long rein - who has done it and how did you do it?

bitsnpieces

Aug 22, 2007
I'm hoping that I may be able to start Inca off long reining this weekend - so the question for you all, how did you do this with yours when you long reined for the first time? What process do you use to give them the right idea?

I was going to try and start her off with someone at her head to give her the confidence to walk out?

i did (i was learning myself as well!), a friend helped by putting poneh on track first. the key is to make sure they understand the only way is forward (NOT sideways not spinning not backing up!). she got the hang pretty quickly :) started off in the school and then moved on to longreining out and about on farmtracks (which i found a bit scary at first as i felt i didnt have as much control as i would leading, i have to admit! got used to it in the end and really enjoy it now) which helped establish basics like straight lines, stop and go :)

we're now doing walk, trot and canter, tiny reinbacks and all sorts of shapes on the longreins in the school and she has gone over some tiny crosspoles as well :) its fun!!!!!!

ps: try to ditch any helper fairly soon if you can as you want poneh to be independent and able to walk out without someone at their head :)

I teach long reining by using just one long lead rope to start of with on one side. Whilst the horse is walking forwards I gradually move backwards and encourage the horse to walk on with a stick or a tap on the bum with my hand.

Usually I start of at the flank area and practice getting the horse to walk on nicely and then introduce turning. I do this on both sides. When the horse is walking forward well I walk behind him and stay quiet as this teach the horse that he's doing the right thing.

Its all about gradually building up the aids for long reining and confidence :)

With my old by I used to be able to long rein him with the reins including sideways and back up.

Maya can long rein without the reins too but I usually have to stand near her flank but she will back up from behind.

In the same boat as you bitsnpieces and have started with Bertie.....

Initially I started at his head and then as shockblue said gradually dropped
back, I used two reins though and brought the 2nd rein over his back.

I just started with 'walk on' and then gradually dropped further back until
I was behind him..............I couldn't in all honesty say we have 'cracked it'
yet, but we are making good progress and certainly having more success
with the long reining than the lunging:giggle:

I've had a go, but find trying to keep both lunge reins from unravelling on his bum whilst sorting the front end out a nuisance :rolleyes: Then there's the getting the length right between one rope and the other..

Lol, Darkstorm, it is a case of practice makes perfect.........I HOPE, cos
I too get in a right 'muck and fuddle' at times, lol, so you are NOT alone:biggrin:

With Sioned I have a ??????? can't for the life of me remember what its called, lol, like a girth, that
goes round with rings that the lunge lines go thro' which makes it easier, so they don't get tangled, but for Bertie I just have the two lines !!

Last edited:
Lol, Darkstorm, it is a case of practice makes perfect.........I HOPE, cos
I too get in a right 'muck and fuddle' at times, lol, so you are NOT alone:biggrin:

With Sioned I have a ??????? can't for the life of me remember what its called, lol, like a girth, that
goes round with rings that the lunge lines go thro' which makes it easier, so they don't get tangled, but for Bertie I just have the two lines !!

Is it a roller ? :giggle::giggle::bounce::giggle:

I long reined my shetland Surprise while he was being backed, I had never done it before.
I was very lucky as he took to it like a duck to water :biggrin: he didn't need anyone at his head to start as he already knew vocal commands.
I would say he probably taught me, more than I taught him. :wink:
I used a saddle with the lines going though the stirrups.

newrider.com