Tb horse feeding

Zianka

Jan 7, 2017
How much and what should I be feeding a thoroughbred ex polo horse she is 22 she is on oats and barley chaff sugar beet and turmeric cod liver oil n garlic

If she's maintaining condition on that and not completely nuts you are probably best sticking to what she's used to until you get to know her better, then you can better judge her requirements :)

Reactions: Trewsers
Can I ask why you've chosen Barley Chaff?
Is she on any vitamin supplement?
I've some very useful [and universal] information regarding equine nutrition [bit of a hobby/obsession of mine] x

She is on oats and barley and chaff and suger beer she is a ex polo horse n is suffering with swelling on her legs she there is a list of things at top what I am putting in her food to help with this xx she is not being ridden at all ATM due to her legs x

If she does okay on the feed, and isn't dropping weight or looking poor in terms of skin, coat and hoof condition, I'd keep her on what you're using.
Maybe in the spring, have a look at total forage based feeds, and ditch the Barley in her diet.
Some horses struggle with absorbing the barley, which in turn stops the digestive system from properly absorbing anything else. A lot of horses would do so much better on total forage feeds [such as Agrobs] but I will admit, you do feel like you aren't feeding them enough.
However, my Arab mare has been on it for 4 months now, and has never looked or behaved or felt better! And she's the first to drop weight, play up, lose coat condition, her feet can't hold a shoe...
Not anymore!

x

Her coat size and everything is fine apart from swelling in back legs but this is being sorted by her vet x That photo of her was taken by old owner I will get new one n upload tomorrow:)

Attachments

• IMG_4031.JPG
    IMG_4031.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Maysmoor25
I like her <3
The only thing I can offer re her leggies, is a supplement I wouldn't be without now - Joint Right Supreme [by horse supplements direct]
Old Cob is like her 7 year old self again, and Arab girl isn't worrying over her back anymore [sacroiliac pain this time last year]
The supplement was recommended to me by my vet at Rossdales x

Were can u purchase this will this help with her legs n muscles she is 22 so she is stif some days and with the swelling some days but I guess it's because she is a ex sport horse but this don't bothers me aslong as she happy and I can give her a good life as she has had a hard life x

Reactions: Maysmoor25
Way I see it, everything in the supplement mentioned above, has healing properties.
The website gives a really detailed breakdown of each ingredient

Our cob mare had torn her annular [again] and the vet was quite sure she wouldn't be ridden again.
2 months on this supplement, she was sound as a pound, and within 4 months, was back in work, ridden 6 times a week, hacking, schooling and some faster paced hacks... We don't jump her [we used to, but one too many tendon injuries, we just don't want to risk her legs anymore], but if we gave her the opportunity, she'd bolt for a chance to jump again

My Arab is on it for calcification of the hocks, which she had treated this time last year at Rossdales. To avoid the onset of early arthritis, the vet recommended joint right supreme.. And I haven't looked back.
It's my miracle product I wouldn't be without. The vet who came out and told us the cob would never be ridden again, couldn't believe how well she was when he came to see the other mare for vaccs, and watched my Mum riding her in the school
So now, he feels happy to recommend the supplement to other clients who are in a similar position to what we were in xx

newrider.com