Suitable saddles

OdyPony

Feb 6, 2014
I've been having a complete NIGHTMARE finding Ody a saddle that fits him and is suitable for me! He's VERY wide and flat withered, and round and barrelly.

After trying several saddles, I have settled on a GP treeless as a stop gap until I save up for something better. Its the only thing that doesn't slip and is wide enough lol.

My saddle criteria:
- very narrow twist
- suitable for barrel types with no wither (he's XXW)
- lots of knee support (the bigger the roll the better lol)
- Thorowgood, Maxam, and Griffin are not suitable.

What would you suggest? I have read in several places that a customised Wintec/Bates Isabel is the way forwards but just wondered what other people are using or could suggest :)

Of course this is all hypothetical at the moment! lol. I've got some saving to do!

ETA: I should mention why I've put this in the disabled riders section lol. I have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome, I need a lot of support whilst riding as I'm prone to subluxing/dislocating joints and the narrow twist is essential because I have a pelvis injury.

Last edited:
Can't help re treed but could treeless. If you have found one that doesnt slip, maybe it could be worth researching further?
My Freeform sits nicely on my xxw Shire x low wither, flat back.

if he's very wide and flat withered cob type, you may find a treed saddle like Albion, Black Country, Ideal fit better

I could never get a synthetic one to sit on my cobs, it either fitted at the front or the back but not together.

I found Ideal and Albion seemed to work well and they do up to x wide - Cortrasna got another type for her cob - you can get them cheap on ebay if you know which size fits.

I don't object to treeless at all. Rode my retired chap In a barefoot London for years. They are too wide for me now sadly!

I'd love a solution but I might be an old lady by the time I save up enough for one! ! Lol.

Thank you :)

Gorgeous English leather saddle. Fabulous quality leather, no marks or scuffs. Fantastic quality all round, complete with English leather stirrup leathers, and irons. Altogether weighs 8.25kg.

To be able to appreciate the real quality of this saddle I would recommend anyone to come and view it.

Tower Farm Saddlery, made in England.

17 1/2" from rivet to centre of cantle. Width measures 8 1/2" from D ring to D ring, which apparently makes this a wide to extra fit.

This is on ebay currently, don't know what the reserve is. I got a second hand albion, virtually new, for £400

Thank you! I live near Tower Farm saddlery, I should go check them out!

Do you find the albion comfy? :)

Sadly Ody is more like 10.5"-11" gullet width but Thank you for giving me a great excuse to go to the tack shop ;D

Having sat in a very wide Wintec on a HiPo I don't think that would be good for your hips (although I'm not entirely sure what type of Wintec it is, I think it is a Wintec wide).

I had a Kent & Masters Cob GP for my cob and I love it but I'm not sure how it would suit you if the Thorowgoods are no-gos as they are built on the same tree. Having had a Thorowgood and a K&M though I'd say that the K&M is comfier. As for knee support it has velcro blocks but I'm sure you could buy bigger ones if you felt that would be better. Cortrasna, Flipo's mum, Laura107 and a few other people all have K&M saddles. They are lovely.

I agree that Black Country and Ideal are good saddles and I've also heard good things about the native pony company saddles (or something to that effect) but I don't have any experience with them!

Last edited:
Thorowgood seats are too wide and flat, the twist is very wide. They are very painful to ride in, and it destabilises my hips leading to subluxation. Plus I can't stand up in them lol.

I've heard various things about wintec wide - the older ones would be no good but the newer ones might be OK?

Because of the type of support im after I think I'm inclined to go for a dressage saddle. I'll look up the brands suggested Thank you :D

Have you tried a seat saver on the TG? Kent and masters are really popular on here and seem to fit a lot of tricky to fit horses - but they are similar to a TG. Using a hm seat saver or similar usually helps make twist narrower

My field mate has a hm seat saver which I could try :) just out of curiosity, are there any other twist reducing seat savers?

I think I'm going to look nuts going saddle shopping... I can't stand up in regular stirrups so will have to take my special ones, potentially a seat saver too lol.

The heather moffet hip saver makes alot of difference,the normal seat saver is lovely but wont adjust the twist for you.her hipsaver has an extra piece plaved inside that gives it more of a twist.it helped me out on a kent and masters cob at xw no end.my hip are fine but i damaged me knee and too wide puts more strain on it so i got the hipsaver and it solved the problem.im now using sensation treeless saddles though,i love them the twist is good and they are sooooo comfy,i have a dressage trail with mega knee blocks and have oooodles of support from the knne rolls,pommel and cantle,have just got a sensation hybrid which is the same flap but a tall wide swell in front more like a western feel.your horse sounds like an ideal candidate for the sensations :)

I found the hm hip saver useful.

I tried a TG saddle and found it too wide, I couldn't get my legs on at all.

I use endurance stirrups, so much better and comfortable.

Just wanted to reply and say I have Ehlers-Danlos too (the hypermobility type) and so does my little boy. Sorry, no advice as to saddle type - although I've always wanted an Australian stock saddle, Wintec make a good one, as they're so secure. Just wanted to say hello to another rider with EDS!!

I would try a K&M if you have a saddler who can bring you one. My saddle (a cob GP XW) fits my flat backed, wide body 14.2 Connie-type pony, and it fitted my livery mate's 15.1 Warmblood cross filly and it fits Flipo's Mum's ENORMOUS Belgian draught! Well worth a try and so comfy.

The Heather Moffett FlexEE saddle with a hip saver on would probably work and the newer saddles have a full set of gullets and if your horse is very wide you can use the Wintec wide gullet bars in it.

I find my Sensation Hybrid gives me a lot of support when riding. I have issues with nerve damage and sciatica and feeling like my hips are going to pop out if the saddle is too wide. I find the knee rolls, which I have replaced with quite large ones on my saddle and nice and supportive to my leg and the swell at the front is also supportive. I had a pommel bolster in mine which I fins helps with the twist, as does my western seat. :) The Westlish saddles also give really good support if you like a more forward cut flap.

newrider.com