Suitable Horse for my weight

Kevin

Apr 22, 2015
West Waterford
Have been searching a bit lately but keep coming up with different answers and some conflicting.

My current weight is about 14.5 stone and I am 5'8" tall and whilst I rode a lot in my teens I have not done so over the past number of years due to studies/work/moving a few times etc.

I really want to get back riding but unsure what size horse I should have, currently have two rescues one being a shetland and the other a possible tb x , she is about 16h but I am far too heavy and would not expect her to carry my weight :-(

Am currently attempting to lose weight, its going slowly but in the past it never goes below 13.5 stone despite what I do apart from total starvation!

What would be the most suitable horse size / type?

You could ride anything from a fell pony they are only about 13.2hh but take leg up well and were bred to be weight carriers, dales up to about 14.2hh, or draft types or x's, or cobs( and there's some nice ones out there) you need something with good bone. Basically if I were you I'd decide on height then look for then look for a breed or build to suit, not all weight carriers are super chunky. Hope that helps:)

Reactions: Native Lover
There was a study that showed weight didn't effect how horses moved until the rider was more than 25% of their own body weight. The long riders guild (for people who ride over 1000 miles in a single ride) suggest that rider and gear should not exceed 20% of the horses body weight. Other places suggest as little as 10-15%. Personally I stick with the 20% rule as if they can ride 1000's of miles it can't be all bad.

Thank you for the replies

I will need a chunky horse to match chunky me :)

Gemini is about 325kg and I am far too heavy for her and always will be but she will always be with us.

Reactions: Jessey
My girl is about 575kg when fit (15.1hh quarter horse X) and carries me @ 12.5st and a heap of camping gear on longer rides :D

A lot depends on how fit the horse is and how well you ride. If you are a balanced rider and do not sit heavily on the horses back, this will enable then to carry you easier. 14.5 stone is not overly heavy. My shire x could carry you no problem.

There are a few men on my yard - all quite skinny, mind you! - and they tend to ride Irish Draughts, around 16.2. They're all hunters.

Thank you for the replies.

Ah the skinny bit :eek:..... thing is I don't look my weigh and would probably not even be queried in a riding school, my doctor checked my weight twice on a few occasions as she was a bit surprised at the weight I actually am and what she expected.

But I know my weight and wouldn't expect any horse to carry me that was not well able.

So your TB X is under 400kg ? I would have thought without looking at her if your balanced she might be alright. A lot of stock horses back home are TB's or TB crosses and they go absolutely fine with that weight on them.

Personally I wouldn't be worrying to much you're not that heavy and PLENTY of horses can carry that weight absolutely fine.

Thank you for the replies

Our internet at home is very poor the last while due to high winds etc so was unable to bring this forum up on my phone.

Gemini is about 325kg based on measurements I took about six months ago.

Do you know what she is crossed with ? Or have any pictures of her ?

I'm genuinely curious as most horses at 16.1 I would expect to be around 450kg minimum. I hope the storms haven't hit you too bad wherever you are !

Yes cleveland bays or Irish draughts are both a nice gentlemans hunter, all rounder build. I know a few that a can honestly say are beautiful horses inside and out, I used to have a ID and he was a big softie, he did have a few issues being led although that improved over time but he was brought from Ireland and hadn't been cut until late, he was a lovely genuine horse though and very willing to learn. He was sold to a gentleman to hunt, XC on, his wife planned on doing a bit of SJ and WH on him too. :)

Reactions: Ruskii
They are gorgeous :) love georges mane :) can you get hold of a weight tape, they are inexpensive here and give a fair guide, Gemini doesn't look hugely fine so id be suprised at him being that light. My girl is a chunky 15.1 quarter horse (not a heavy set breed which mostly leads back to tb's) and she's about 580kg.
With my 32" mini for comparison
IMG_20160128_135003.JPG

Reactions: Kevin
newrider.com