Struggling to find livery

HorseHelen

Sep 17, 2006
at the farm, near the zoo
Hello
Hope you all had a good Xmas.
Libby and I are all good at the moment. I can't figure out how to post a photo otherwise I'd post a festive one

Right now here is the problem

I've recently moved areas and now my current yard is 15 miles away from where I live.
Because of her tumour I need to be sure if I move her that it's the right one. She has 24/7 turnout at the moment and finding a yard with similar is proving really hard.
So I've left notes on field gates in the hope I get some leads.
One lady has kindly come back to me to say she doesn't take liveries as you need planning permission but she will see if there is any way around this

So my questions are;

Do you need planning permission if you own a field and take on liveries?

What are other ways of finding a home for a horse?

Or any words of support would be great too

I'm having a few personal issues with anxiety and my partner has recently lost his job so it's getting all a bit stressful so really keen to sort out Libby as it's costing me a fortune in fuel and time when it doesn't have to if I can sort it. It's so frustrating as there are so many horse fields around here yet I can't seem to find one!

Also got a few issues at current yard over hay feeding in the field this winter and I want to give Libby the best now she's nearing her end

Thanks all

Hi, I'm no help on the finding a livery front, but I was glad to read that Libby is still doing ok, I often wonder how she is. Sorry about your partner losing their job though, it must be quite a stressful time for you. Fingers crossed you find somewhere for Libby soon x

Hi HorseHelen. In answer to your question, yes you are supposed to have planning permission to take liveries.
From personal experience, you can get round it by letting ‘friends’ only keep their horses on your land for a small fee to cover costs only. You have to be really careful re horse transport and deliveries as the neighbours could potentially complain about excess traffic.

Reactions: HorseHelen
I didn't think you needed planning unless you were making a change of use on the property to run a business, then you also pay business rates etc too, but if it's remaining residential/recreational use then you don't need it. But as @Star the Fell says you can get around it as long as you're not making profit off of it, that you rent to friends and you only charge them to cover the costs of maintenance. I've rented dozens of small properties (stables in people's back gardens etc) and have never once heard of anyone getting into any kind of bother over it.

Reactions: HorseHelen
Hi, I'm no help on the finding a livery front, but I was glad to read that Libby is still doing ok, I often wonder how she is. Sorry about your partner losing their job though, it must be quite a stressful time for you. Fingers crossed you find somewhere for Libby soon x

Aww thank you that's nice. Thank you, fingers crossed!

Hi HorseHelen. In answer to your question, yes you are supposed to have planning permission to take liveries.
From personal experience, you can get round it by letting ‘friends’ only keep their horses on your land for a small fee to cover costs only. You have to be really careful re horse transport and deliveries as the neighbours could potentially complain about excess traffic.

Thank you. I guess she doesn't know me from Adam so depends if she wants the hassle I guess. Fingers crossed I can persuade her! I could walk up to the field every day so would only need to take the car if dropping off feed supplies or when I have the farrier i guess. Lots to think about

Can't offer any advice on the livery front as things may have changed since we lived down south and considered taking on liveries. However, I just wanted to send some good vibes for Libby - was wondering how she was getting on. Hope that you find somewhere right for both of you.

There's been a crackdown on livery yards paying the correct business rates and insurance costs have gone up a lot too - I don't know how this affects the smaller yards though.

Reactions: Trewsers
There's been a crackdown on livery yards paying the correct business rates and insurance costs have gone up a lot too - I don't know how this affects the smaller yards though.

Yes I thought so too. And I also think it can depend on what area you live in as to how strict planning / councils are because some places let you get away with more than others.

I strongly suspect a lot of small yards are dodging paying business rates by pretending they're not run as a business (to be fair it's quite a grey area) and will probably get clamped down on by HMRC at some point.

Reactions: Trewsers
Not sure on planning but if you take money for something it's classed as ennis and the council and tax man will want a slice of cake.
I am not on a yard anymore, it actually closed down and I am just a friend of the family. I believe it depends on what you will be charged.
You can get round things. Look in your local tack shop because I found a place because someone wanted a companion for theirs. It was temporary and free because it saved them loaning something.

newrider.com