Stopping when when leading

Ruskii

Jun 21, 2000
UK
So new pony is doing well. Mini-Ruskii goes on several walks around the farm and we are finding the pony does a lot of random stops when on her way back to the field. Heading out she is fine, but it always seems on a certain part of the track she'll slow right down and stop. She'll ignore any leg aids from her rider (this is a work in progress) but I have to tap her lightly with the lead rope to get her to walk on.

She'll start off again but then stop 2-3 strides later. She is not trying to eat anything (we never let ours do that anyway) but will just do lots of random stops, if you tug (lightly) on the headcollar she'll twist her head around understandable and pull her head away.

Yesterday I walked out with her holding my driving whip and I noticed an incredible difference in her, there was a few random stops but a light touch got her going again (I tapped after she ignored 2 walk on aids from my daughter) I don't want to start teaching her to ignore the walk command which I have a sneaky suspicion she is trying.

Any tips on what we could be doing different ? This behavior at this spot on the track is no different if she has a rider or being lead. So I'm a bit puzzled, heading out is fine it's always on the return ..Tips welcomed !

I would drop this particular part of the track for a while altogether. May sound a bit controversial and like avoidance but by not entering into her game and doing something different or same but elsewhere will give enough time for her to forget about it altogether.

Mine will do the extended neck and twist the head left or right to avoid being led forwards. That's her simple I don't want to.
Sounds like napping, but could equally be something there she hasn't seen on the way back.
Is the new pony a lead rein or first ridden. Sometimes they get confused on who they need to listen to, the rider or the leader.

Will pony long rein, if so try long reining that way pony will only be listening to what you are asking and you can back up with a driving whip safely to break the habit, might help at first if you have someone at the head so when you get to that point they can enforce the walk on - or trying trotting or faster walk and as soon as you feel try to slow tap them on firmly- how strange its on the way back - its usually the other way round.

newrider.com