Stopping horse running out on jumps

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Ok my recent funride adventure was a little bit of an upset. I cant do big jumps so if im cantering up to them and they look too big we skirt round them. However horse took this to mean we skirt round everything.

There were small jumps that I and he was very capable of jumping, but as we cantered to them at the last minute he would vear off to the side. At first I just thought okay he didnt like the look of the jump so came round at it again and tried to get him to canter to it and jump and he point blank refused to budge. He dug his toes in and wouldnt even walk towards the jump. Instead he would fight me to walk in the opposite direction. So what could I do any ideas.

I jumped him at home the other night in the field over a large log. If I was practically standing at it and asked him to jump it, he would. However if I took a canter at it, he would vear off to the sides. I tried putting a leg onto the side he was running out of. But I find it difficult to keep leg on at the same time as cantering to the jump and him pulling his head round at the last minute.

Is this just a question of me practicing my leg on skills. Or should I be doing something else to guide him into the jump.

If you've shown him that the behaviour is acceptable, there's no reason why he should think he's doing anything wrong.

Ideally to stop a horse running out you want to be keeping him between hand and leg - keeping your legs strong either side and widening your hands to help keep him straight. Gridwork with poles can also help.

The important thing is consistency - he doesn't know which jumps you want to jump and which you don't. As far as he's concerned, he's been allowed to skirt round jumps in the past so why is now any difference? Start small - just poles on the ground - and work your way up, staying consistent in what you want him to do. No more skirting around obstacles as that's just confusing for him - you're saying the behaviour is ok.

The best thing you can do though is to find yourself a good instructor who can really pinpoint and work on any problems far better than any of us could.

Good luck!

Shaka says most things, only thing I would add is if he has run out once, when you present him to the jump again, keep your stick on his shoulder on the side he ran out on and use it if he starts drifting that way.

Okay, you need some poles but build a jump this shape /---\ so you have two poles either side of the jump guiding you in. Jumping wings rather than just a log might help too, even Sam (ex-eventer) would duck out at narrower jumps if you didn't really ride.

If he does it the same side every time, build the jump next to a fence.

How big are the jumps? Maybe you could do them from trot till you get your and his confidence back up. Needs to be a nice powerful forward trot, but might be a bit easier to control than cantering up to them, maybe give you a bit more thinking time.

When you're jumping a jump for the first time maybe walk him up to it and let him have a look, then you can see if you'll be happy jumping it before you start approaching. If you are then circle him round and pop over it.

If you're having real trouble I'd maybe start with a jump tiny enough that you can walk over it if the worst comes to the worst. Trot up to it, if he tries to run out cirlce him round and push him on over it. No matter how long it takes dont let him go past the jump without going over it. Once hes over it lots of praise and try again.

Good luck :)

I agree with the other comments but also take a good hold of the opposite rein to the way he is running out. So if he is ducking out the right side, really hold on to the left rein and put your right leg on and your stick on his right shoulder. Give him a tap on the shoulder if you need to. If they are only small jumps and he stops, make him jump from a standstill so he doesn't turn away.

If you are on a fun ride and are not sure about the jumps, I would ride up near/ to the side of the jump to have a look at whether you want to jump it or not. Then, once you have decided to jump it, circle back and approach the jump. It is confusing to the horse to canter up to the jump and swerve around it. I check the jumps before we approach to jump on a fun ride, just to check the ground etc anyway.

Thank you, i think Ive taught him bad habits.

I need to learn to put stick into other hand, as it is mainly the left side he runs out of. I find that hard enough to hold in my left, let alone use it on the shoulder.

Lots I know what you mean re the guide, but as soon as I take sides away hes up to his old tricks.

I've got some 8ft poles I think I might give those a go instead of 10ft ones. It would really concerntrate us both. I need to learn to keep him straight. Like you say start small. Give him confidence. I did notice if the log was short he ducked out more.

It always amazes me how quickly they learn the things you don't want them to learn ..................!

Can't add anything at all useful.

newrider.com