starting western training

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
Ive decided to start a bit of western training with one of my horses, is it better to start off in a sidepull or a bosal?

I have just bought 2 saddles off Ebay for Frayne (fingers crossed that at least one of them fits!). A western and a treeless (which has fenders, but also English stirrups can be used with it). For both of us, comfort is the main thing (I have arthritis and hope that we will be able to enjoy pleasure rides). I am doing Parelli Natural Horsemanship - so we are using a rope halter and 12 foot rope. This is used for riding also (you flip the rope from one side of the neck to the other when changing direction) until the next stage of training where it is then tied round to form '2 reins'. Have you got any Western instructors in your area that could help you?

Ali xx

he already neck reins to some degree and stops and goes easily, off a long rein, so thats half the battle, ive had a lesson on the basics from a western instructor and its pretty much what i do anyway. hes ridden in a rope nose sidepull at the moment, but wondered if that or a bosal would be better, as i know most colts are started in a sidepull.
he can be ridden in a rope halter but it moves around his face too much, i dont do parelli, but my own version of groundwork.
All western instuctors are fairly far away and i would have to travel a far way to get to me, bumping the price up, so id rather do most of the bascis myself:)

Hey, Its completely up to you.
I started Bo in a bosal, but Jess was started in a sidepull (2 rope nose) :D
I did try a sidepull on Bo a couple of years ago but he seemed to find it quite over-powering (was overbending and would stop instead of bending when 1 rein picked up), where he will happily work in a bosal. I also put a bosal on Jess on Monday for the first time and she did seem to try to walk through it a bit, which she didn't do in a side pull, though I hope practice will help her with that :D

For showing, a bosal is correct for a young horse, you don't see side pulls but they are a very common training aid. Given he is already happy in a sidepull I would sick with it :D

thanks jessey, i use the sidepull for hacking in, and it has excellent brakes for that purpose, but it might be a bit too much for him schooling wise, as he can hang back off the sidepull a bit.
ive just bought a western bridle from ebay and always fancied a bosal, so might have a go with both and see what he prefers:D

newrider.com