Starting a little later....

Nayumi1

May 10, 2017
Yorkshire
I was just curious how many of you started later than the average rider and are now competing?
I learnt when I was young but did not ride again until now at 30. Eventually I’d like to compete low level but just curious who else has?

I was just curious how many of you started later than the average rider and are now competing?
I learnt when I was young but did not ride again until now at 30. Eventually I’d like to compete low level but just curious who else has?

What do you mean by low level. I've only started competing the last couple of years but only local stuff nothing serious!

I did a bit of hacking on RS horses in my late teens but didn't learn to ride properly until I was 21 or so (I know this isn't late compared to some people but even at that age progress is slower because you don't have the natural confidence that young people do!). I did my first showjumping competition in 2011 at the age of 26 - really rather terrifying! My boss loaned me her schoolmaster, who was 15 at the time, and he really looked after me. We started at the dizzy heights of 70cm :p but I ended up doing 4 full seasons of affiliated SJ with him and he took me up to 1.10m classes. In this part of France the courses are big and technical, the showgrounds are very fancy, and most classes have 60-90 competitors even at "small" shows, so it was very daunting to begin with. I got used to it though! I don't suppose I will ever have the opportunity to compete a horse like him again, but we had such a wonderful journey together. I don't think my age really came into it in the end.

Reactions: Nayumi1 and Jessey
Me! I never had a horse when I was younger, but was horse mad and spent evey weekend at the local riding school. I did the summer between a-levels and uni on a SJing yard, then didnt ride again (other than the odd sit) for 12 years.

My sister and I bought one for us to share when i was in my early 30's, which soon turned into 2, then 3 (its now 6- oups!!!).

I completed an 80cm ODE on a horse I backed and brought on 2 years ago (and I was ver going to jump a XC fence ever) we are about to make the step to novice dressage after some 70% prelims results and when I am feeling brave can SJ 90. :)

Im not that talented, work full time, am quite poor but I learn when I can, work hard and love it!! Horse is better than I am, but who cares!!

11879237_647352115379996_2867317942027713752_o.jpg

Reactions: Nayumi1 and MrA
Me! I never had a horse when I was younger, but was horse mad and spent evey weekend at the local riding school. I did the summer between a-levels and uni on a SJing yard, then didnt ride again (other than the odd sit) for 12 years.

My sister and I bought one for us to share when i was in my early 30's, which soon turned into 2, then 3 (its now 6- oups!!!).

I completed an 80cm ODE on a horse I backed and brought on 2 years ago (and I was ver going to jump a XC fence ever) we are about to make the step to novice dressage after some 70% prelims results and when I am feeling brave can SJ 90. :)

Im not that talented, work full time, am quite poor but I learn when I can, work hard and love it!! Horse is better than I am, but who cares!!

11879237_647352115379996_2867317942027713752_o.jpg
I love that pic!

So there’s hope for me yet

newrider.com