Southern Stars monoflap Event saddle - opinions please

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
I've been searching for a 2nd hand saddle for ages and have been offered this one. It fits Amber well. It's pretty pricey though. Any thoughts on it? It's not a brand I've ever heard of and I can only find info on it from the brand's website. Nothing independent. TIA x

Nope - never heard of them - and Southern Stars does have a low end American crap version of an English saddle sound to it - doesn't mean they aren't good - but if you are paying a lot of money I would be going for a well known and respected name that is immediately recognisable as quality in case selling on becomes a possibility. People will be reluctant to pay big bucks for a brand name they haven't heard of. Unless of course it is SO mega superior and exclusive it is outside my lowly level of saddle knowledge lol!

Reactions: Jessey
Looking at it, its Aussie, so possibly why we haven't heard of it.
The saddles are designed etc by Clayton Fredricks. He's a director of the company.
If it fits you and the horse that's more important. But I wouldn't want to be paying over the odds for a saddle though just because someone rode a 4* in it, unless I was planning to do the same. ;)

So my advice would be to check out the saddles his wife is using because those will likely be a uk company brand- its Devoucoux to save you looking. That people will have heard of so maybe easier to research/resell.
I am curious in the saddle pad she is currently using with it.

Last edited:
newrider.com