Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Some good old NR vibes needed....

Discussion in 'Veterinary,Injuries and Therapies' started by Mary Poppins, May 16, 2018.

1. Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins Well-Known Member

Right now Ben is in hospital, radioactive and having his pictures taken using a gamma camera! His bone scan appointment is happening right now and I dropped him off first thing this morning. I am 'working' from home, feel absolutely terrible and am glued to my phone willing and dreading it to ring at the same time. At this very moment I would rather not know what is wrong with him. The news is going to be bad, it's just a case of how bad. He looked terrible when he got off the lorry. It was a 1.5 hour trip and he stretched every part of his body as soon as he got off so he must have been feeling stiff. No-one warned me about this part of horse ownership. We have had 7 years of fun, and now I feel like my heart is being ripped out of my body. I always knew horses were a roller coaster of emotion but I have never felt this low before. I just want him back home.

2. Bodshi

Bodshi Well-Known Member

I really feel for you, I wish there was something I could do or say to help. Keeping everything crossed that the news isn't as bad as you fear and that Ben gets over his ordeal quickly and is back home safe and sound soon.

Mary Poppins likes this.
  3. Jessey

Jessey Well-Known Member

Crossing of everything here and vibes being sent in buckets. It is absolutely the longest wait, waiting for the vet when something is wrong, its the worst feeling in the world IMO.

Mary Poppins likes this.
  4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Mary Poppins

Thank you both. I'm really busy with work but I just can't concentrate. I have had a lie down and managed to sleep for about an hour. Now I am literally counting the minutes down and not getting any work done at all. I should get the results before 5pm today - only 4 hours to wait!

6. Trewsers

Trewsers Well-Known Member

Sending my most heartfelt vibes from Storm, Chloe and Zi. I feel your emotion on this, indeed one of the hardest parts of ownership - such huge parts of our lives. With you every step. Stay tuned and keep us posted when you can.Txxxxxxxxxx

Mary Poppins likes this.
  7. orbvalley

orbvalley Well-Known Member

OMG how dreadful for you both, everything crossed for you, love, good health and good results xxx

Mary Poppins likes this.
  8. selside

selside Well-Known Member

Sending vibes a-plenty. No idea what to say really. Thinking of you and Ben.

Mary Poppins likes this.
  9. carthorse

carthorse Well-Known Member

Lots of vibes for Ben, and a big hug to you too. For some reason we never believe anything can go really wrong with them until it does, and it's only then we realise we'd give almost anything to have the happy & comfortable - all the plans and ambitions suddenly count for nothing.

10. Mary Poppins

Thank you all. Still not heard anything. They said that would call me when he has had the scan and is in recovery but the phone hasn't rung. It all feels very surreal, like I am dreaming it! Last night I had a reoccurring dream that my brakes failed on my lorry when I was driving him there and I jumped out of the lorry just before it crashed with him in it. That keeps playing through my head so the fact that he is safe in hospital is actually quite comforting - even though the crash is all in my head.

11. sophie33

sophie33 Well-Known Member

Oh poor you! Sending all my best vibes for you and Ben x

Mary Poppins likes this.
  12. domane

domane Chatterbox

Oh gosh, what a traumatic time for you. Sending positive vibes xxxx

Mary Poppins likes this.
  13. joellie

joellie Well-Known Member

Sending tons of vibes for Ben and stay strong vibes to you.

Mary Poppins likes this.
  14. Mary Poppins

Thank you all. Starting to get anxious that no-one has called me yet. I have so much work to do and absolutely nothing is getting done. All I am doing is eating crisps, eating ice cream and staring at my phone. I didn't think I was a comfort eater but it turns out I am.

15. joellie

joellie Well-Known Member

Any news yet ?

16. Mary Poppins

Well I'm not too sure where to start. Wine is my friend tonight.

He needs more tests tomorrow but the main areas of concern are hotspots in his articular facet and his stifle area. We did think that the stifle was a possibility but I had no idea what an articular facet was until a few hours ago - it is basically part of the joint between the neck and the body. He is therefore having his back x-rayed tomorrow on the big machines in the hospital and then they will nerve block his stifle and see if he is better on the lunge.

He also has a hotspot in his right fetlock - possibly the coffin joint I think but the vet thinks that this is a compensation for the pain elsewhere and as he is only very mildly lame on it they would advise that we monitor it and not worry too much at this stage.

His splint bones both glowed red, but as he had an injury on his left splint bone only a few months ago then this is to be expected.

The most obvious cause of lameness - his bone spavin, turned out to give only a mildly warm response. This indicates that the arthritic changes are fusing the bones together and are nothing to be concerned about.

So, it's the articular facet and the stifle that are being investigated tomorrow. I have no idea what this means for us long term. It sounds serious and scary to me. I did what we should never do and googled it and lots of references to 'Wobblers disease' came up so my husband made me stop.

Apparently everyone has fallen in love with him at the hospital. They said that he is so affectionate and tried so hard to please when they trotted and lunged him. I miss him and would give anything to see him right now.

17. Cortrasna

Cortrasna Grumpy old nag

Oh ~God - I really, really feel for you having very recently had my own roller coaster with Dolly. :( Sending masses of healing and good news vibes for Ben and keep calm and soldier on vibes for you. :(

Mary Poppins likes this.
  18. OwnedbyChanter

OwnedbyChanter With out my boys life would be bland

I read your first thread than just kept skipping down for the update,

Your pain and upset comes through your thread.

I wish there was something I could say but I know nothing about what you have high lighted and the potential issues all I can do is offer sympathy and vibes,

I will wait out for your next update drink wine and be strong xx

Mary Poppins likes this.
  19. orbvalley

orbvalley Well-Known Member

:( Hoping for better news for you both tomorrow xx

Mary Poppins likes this.
  20. Mary Poppins

Thank you all. I am sure things will look better in the morning.x

21. Ale

Ale Well-Known Member

Will be thinking of you tomorrow. Hoping for the best.

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties