Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

So hard to find full up island type ridden Shetlands these days!

Discussion in 'Adults who ride Ponies' started by Metallicblue, May 16, 2017.

1. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

:D :D :D, it was in a box of stuff a friend asked us to take to the charity shop, It was one of those arms you shut in the boot of your car to make it look like a body was in the back......anyway we shoved it under his tail and originally the caption was something along the lines of "did the vet find the thermometer? Never mind the thermometer, where's the vet?"..the lass riding him is a vet

He was a very, very sweet natured stallion, so kind, so laid back, you could put tiny tots on his back for pony rides.

I just missed this photo of a friends 5 year old, She had been cuddling him with his whole head in her arms at a show where he'd just got the Best Black Stallion trophy...he was almost asleep, such a sweet , sweet boy.[​IMG]

#21 Wally, May 17, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    newforest likes this.
  2. Metallicblue

Metallicblue New Member

Love it! hahaha! He was a lovely sort and sounds a gem. I don't subscribe to the whole "Shetlands are demons" ethos. Treat them like any other horse and they'll follow suit. My standard mare is the kindest little thing, certainly not a kid's pony under saddle but such a sweet, utterly compliant soul. I feel a lot of Shetlands get the short end of the stick and a bad reputation due to being handled like toys. A real shame!

3. Wally

Wally Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more, If you treated Warmbloods like a lot of Shetlands end up being treated they'd have a filthy reputation

4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Metallicblue

Metallicblue New Member

Absolutely Wally! Same goes for most stallions. I've had a lot of "problematic" ponies come into my care and every one has rapidly resolved into a lovely personality when they realised there were people out there capable of treating them kindly, fairly but firmly. It's the most sensitive animals who wish for nothing more than to please you and yet sadly encounter people who are just not fair or confident. Shetlands get it the absolute worst due to abuse relating to their small stature and having to suffer at the hands of some children who's parents just don't teach them to respect the animals.

Your stallion was an absolute stunner! I hadn't noticed the photo of him with his little friend above. It's getting impossible to find black ones these days too!

6. newforest

newforest Opinion, a view not always based on knowledge.

The same can be said for chestnuts or chestnut mares. Cobs are always safe confidence giving plods.

7. carthorse

carthorse Well-Known Member

Please don't say that to my friend who's been looking after and riding Little Un while I'm away - she says he makes her appreciate her quiet 4yo that's not long out of racing! He IS safe, but he's also forward and does have the Welsh cob sense of humour . . .

8. newforest

That's the thing they are all individuals.
    One ex racer I rode came out because he was uninterested in joining in.
    A Shetland run off with me once because he could not because he was a Shetland.

9. Metallicblue

Metallicblue New Member

Mental these old equestrian wives tales and stereotypes! Quietest pony I ever owned was my old chestnut section C stallion. I was told when I bought him that he had supposedly been ridden in the past by a previous owner. I frequently hopped on him in the yard when he was tied up for his groom. I would sit there getting all his good itchy spots and he loved it! After his breeding duties were over for the season I thought it would be nice for him to have another job so tacked him up and had a little plod around the school. He was ridiculously green, didn't know a thing and was quite confused but didn't put a foot wrong! It blew my mind when his 'previous', previous owner got in touch with me and I asked what he had done under saddle and was told, nothing, he wasn't broken to ride!!! :eek: Chestnut, Welsh and a stallion!

On the flip side I've met some very spicy natured traditional cobs! I think when people have preconceived ideas due to these stereotypes it does effect the way they approach and treat the animal. There's nothing a horse finds more suspicious than a suspicious person!

10. Metallicblue

Metallicblue New Member

Reviving this thread with a quick question. Does anyone know where I can get a Shetland measuring stick? Annoyingly I have one which goes up to 39" and one that starts at 10.2hh! Is there such a thing that does everything in between? Cheers!

11. CharliesAngel

CharliesAngel Well-Known Member

yes i got mine on ebay!!

12. Metallicblue

Metallicblue New Member

Ooh really!? I've looked on Ebay and all I can find is mini or standard. You don't remember the seller per chance?

13. newforest

14. Metallicblue

Metallicblue New Member

Cheers! It seems to be sold out everywhere. Only the aluminium one is available now and apparently there are no horses under 10.2hh according to Shires! :confused:

15. CharliesAngel

16. Metallicblue

Metallicblue New Member

I saw him, lovely little lad. I've since purchased an exceptional mare, I count myself very lucky indeed to have found her! :)

CharliesAngel and carthorse like this.
  17. CharliesAngel

well we neeeed to see pics!!!! :D

18. Metallicblue

Metallicblue New Member

She has literally just dropped her foal so she won't be with me for 2-3 weeks while we wait for him to find his feet. I will certainly post pics when she is with me (bursting to do so now but don't want to hex anything!) I've actually admired her for a few years now so feel very fortunate.

CharliesAngel likes this.
  19. Metallicblue

Metallicblue New Member

Ooh, and since I posted this thread my Ulverscroft mare also foaled to a gorgeous 42" stallion so the herd had suddenly grown! Almost as ordered, a lovely filly but not black as I had kept my fingers crossed for. None the less I'll gladly take 1 out of 2 elements I hoped for!

CharliesAngel likes this.
  20. CharliesAngel

Fantastic, really pleased for you x :D

21. Metallicblue

Metallicblue New Member

Thought it was high time I shared some photos of the new girl and my Shetland gang! Image heavy so I'll do two posts! Here she is, Barns Poppy (Barns Saint George x Dryknowl Vox Pop.) Full up 42" and an absolute unit of a mare! I had to twist my friend's arm off for her but feel so fortune as I've admired her for years! Also pictured is her bay 2017 colt foal I bought at foot by Sharptor Laser Red. The black filly is the colt's full sister, Acresdale Paloma Faith, pictured winning as a foal at the British National Nov 2015 where she went on to be Reserve Shetland Champion. I feel so very, very lucky! She is a particularly sweet natured mare.

12310476_10207264383181469_3064955521480457608_n.jpg 11215799_10207264380821410_275052439426264088_n.jpg 12341485_10207264375181269_3415503710371386253_n.jpg 19840444_1837035546611629_1068184858_o.jpg 19141601_10211962343187533_1494871795_n.jpg 12347828_10207264384541503_7256011277309665687_n.jpg

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties