sixth western lesson

raingodz

Aug 8, 2005
Sheffield, UK
www.learning-to-ride.co.uk
It has been a while since last western lesson, infact 4 weeks :( Not counting lesson 5 which turned in to a hack due to the school being too wet :(

So this morning I headded down the M1 after my morning run (5km today). Early as usual. I was handed a head colar as my western RI headed off to teach and English lesson before mine. So I headed down to the field to get Smokey. She was here usual relaxed self, no problem to catch. We walked up to the barn to start grooming. I gave her a good brush and then tacked her up. And so to todays first mistake - I managed to put the saddle pad on up side down :eek: It gave the RI a smile anyway.

So to the school, as we walked in I was told that today we would be working on transitions. I walked round the school on each rein so Smokey and I could relax in to working.

The first thing we did was to sort out my lower leg, this is another thing that is contry to English riding. My lower leg is too still and secure! I need to relax my lowerleg so it almost 'flaps' with the movement of the horse.

So no stirups and on to a 20m circle in walk. In walk, if I relax into the saddle I can now feel the movement of the horse and can feel as each back foot is placed on the ground. Part of this improvement has to be due to the Mark Rashid Foot Fall DVD that cvb lent me, so thanks cvb, it seems to have had the right effect :)

Then still with no stirups we did some transitions to jog and back. The biggest thing that has to be remebered for the transitions is that the originating gate (walk in this case) must be slow and relaxed so that the new gate achived via the transition will also be slow and relaxed.

Things were not going too badly. Smokey raises her head when she is not relaxed, so the aim is to get her to keep her poll level with her withers (in that classic western outline). While she is like this she is relaxed, but this is a working yard and sundays are busy so there were several of Smokey's firends wanting to say hello and draw her attention away from her work. To regain her attention you check her with the reins (a little flick down the loose rein until she gets her mind back on to working).

I took my stirups back (which now felt quite short) and we did a few more walk - jog transitions.

Then at the half way point we moved onto do a few turns on the haunches. These were not my best. The mistake I had today was allowing the hind quaters to move. Then having sorted that I managed to get Smokey to cross over her feet the wrong way round resulting in a slight backwards motion through the turn. The aids to rember are, open the inside rein, apply the outside leg infront of the girth and use the outside rein to stop forward motion and to stop any neck bend. You also have to remeber to not apply the inside leg, I find it easy to allow this to happen as a couter action to applying the outside leg. Also note to self, must sit upright and keep my weight to the center!

Back to transitions, this time we included the lope too and this is where things went a bit wrong. The problem I have is that I am tencing up on the downwards transition from lope to job resulting in a very fast bouncy jog rather than a nice smooth relaxed jog. This problem has several causes, firstly my legs tence up and I put too much weigh to my feet, secondly I lean forwards and thirdly I forget to breath!

I did manage a nice walk to lope transition which I was very pleased about.

We did not manage to correct these problems, so it will have to wait until my next lesson :(

My RI is still facing problems with me not manageing to get a relaxed flexible seat at all times, this in turn means that poor old Smokey is not relaxed all the time and the result is we end up with rushed gaits and hurried transitions. The RI said some more intensive riding would sort it, probably an hour a day for a week. Sadly that is not going to be an option.

So dispite the problems listed above I do still feel that each lesson I am learning more and moving forward at quite a rapid rate :)

Last edited:
My lower leg is too still and secure
ok showoff ;):D lol
I have been riding 27 years and still have problems with that :D

I think it sounds as though you are doing really well, your half way to fixing any problems if you know what you are doing wrong in the 1st place :D

I can see I am going to have to come along with a camera soon :D we need some photos of all this :D

Keep it up Raingodz, you'll eventually relax:)

Oh yes oh yes! Pictures please!

I have pictures of myself from my early western days, but sticking them on the monitor doesn't work for you all to see:eek: our scanner doesn't work too well right now. Bummer.

Having done the opposite; going from western to english, it's true that in western the legs are just hanging there relaxed and not "on" like in english.

Wait until you have a few more miles in the saddle & you'll be able to flip flop from one style to another without even having to think about it.

Yes, I am well over due getting some photos. I need to see my position in each gate then I think it will be easyer for me to see where I am going wrong. I found that the few photos I have of me riding in my english lesson have been very useful to improving how I sit and where I put my legs.

I just need to remeber a) the camera, b) that the batterys arn't flat and c) to actually ask the RI to take them (not sure if she would or not).

Keep it up Raingodz, you'll eventually relax:)
Thanks :) The odd thing is that I am considered as one of the more relaxed riders in my english lessons!
Having done the opposite; going from western to english, it's true that in western the legs are just hanging there relaxed and not "on" like in english.

Wait until you have a few more miles in the saddle & you'll be able to flip flop from one style to another without even having to think about it.
I find that the identifying the diferences between English and Western riding has helped my English riding too. The aplications of aids are more precice in my english riding because since starting the western riding I am more aware of the horses movement.

As someone that started Western and now does both (albiet, being taught English by a Western instructor), it confuses me that your trainer encourages the leg to "flap". That's something I'm trying not to do. It's true the leg is off the horse, but I've always been taught (and always seen in competition) that the leg is still.

I was quite amused one day when JOJOBA came online and said that she had her best ride when not influencing the horse (I believe the quote was something like, "Stay off the horse's mouth and sides and let the horse get on with it"), which is of course what Western riding encourages.

As someone that started Western and now does both (albiet, being taught English by a Western instructor), it confuses me that your trainer encourages the leg to "flap". That's something I'm trying not to do. It's true the leg is off the horse, but I've always been taught (and always seen in competition) that the leg is still.

I was quite amused one day when JOJOBA came online and said that she had her best ride when not influencing the horse (I believe the quote was something like, "Stay off the horse's mouth and sides and let the horse get on with it"), which is of course what Western riding encourages.

I think the idea is (sorry could be wrong, only on lesson six :rolleyes: ) that the leg moves with the horses movement, if the leg is held still then it is not relaxed and may be working against the horses natral movement a little.

I think 'flaps' as a descriptive word was not too good, but I can not think of a better one. But basically I am allowing my leg to move with the barrel swing of the horse. This movement should not get exadurated because that would then be giving the horse incorrect signals.

Sounds like your doing well. :)
When doing that in English, and you squeeze the sides, it really helps them to walk/trot out more. :D
There is a leg aid in western riding known as fanning which I was introduced to in Lesson 4:

raingodz said:
The art to getting a good transition from jog to walk is to 'fan' your legs. This involves moving your lower leg (below the knee) away from the horses side and back again, but only going back to the same place you started, not going on to 'apply' your leg as you would in English riding.

The main reason we were looking at this today was to help me keep a slow jog, if I do not have my legs relaxed enough then Smokey misses out the slow jog and cuts streight back to walk.

raingodz,

I suspect you are riding a well tuned western horse, who will be sensitive to "get up and go" messages. So its just that this horse is a better "mirror" than you have ridden before, not that you have turned into a massively tense person ;)

And the leg thing may simply be the contrast and her way of getting the whole leg to relax ? i.e. it may be a slight over-correction to get you back to where you need to be ? just a thought ?

newrider.com