Simple systems

OwnedbyChanter

With out my boys life would be bland
Apr 16, 2009
Raininghamshire
Thanks for the pointers. I went to a supplier today and purchased some red pellets for Ginger and some meadow bricks.

This with the alpa A oil and linseed should do the job no cereals or barley, I can always add thier beet if more is needed.

Last edited:
The red pellets are the higher value spring grass nuts - higher energy content than oats!!!

I feed the ever so slightly quirky Tobes the blue bag grass nuts which are summer (lower energy value) ones.

Fellow livery commented when I took off his outside rug that he looked 'portly'!!! I strongly denied this comment, pointing out that actually as an appaloosa he has quarter horse stock in his blood accounting for his large back end!!! And we have NO grass!!

But in all seriousness, he holds his weight well on the grass nuts - and the added bonus is because they are just grass you can feed them and saddle them up and ride them as soon as they have finished eating. I don't feed anything else with them - alfalfa doesn't suit him, and he has all the fibre he needs with the nuts. Previously during winters he did lose quite a lot of weight on all the Allen & Page/Spillers etc. 'conditioning feeds'

Simple Systems I find are fab. We don't have a stockist near us, I just ring them, and the man in the van comes and delivers and leaves them in the garage for me, and they ring me the day before and tell me when they are arriving.

Can't fault them. Hope they suit yours.

Sorry for jumping on OBC's thread but I wondered what reaction Tobes had to the alfalfa? We have just tried Raf on Alfa-A Oil but I thought he was going to kill me when I hacked him out - he wanted to go at 100 mph and spooked at everything, including every car that passed, which doesn't normally bother him. I was terrified in case a waggon or tractor came along - I think he would have gone into orbit! Tried twice and the same reaction each time. Back off it and he's his normal placid self. I've done a bit of googling but most threads seem to highly recommend it.

That would be pretty much the reaction that Tobes had to Alfalfa - fun isn't it!!!

I have found with Tobes that too high a protein feed makes him loopy and alfalfa is pretty high in protein.

I have also discovered that cereal feeds don't suit him - even A&P Fast Fibre - not particularly behaviour wise with Fast Fibre but all the rubbish that goes into it to make it so low calorie - the soya, the oatfeed and wheatfeed which is basically the kernels from the products. These made him puffy and irritable.

I just feed summer value grass nuts - annoyingly only Simple Systems seem to do these - and meadow hay. He would kill for haylage and just loves it, but gets grumpy and hyper on it. I have also just cut out his minerals and vits as he was becoming silly and jogging all over the place when on that - grr!!!!

SJP,

To be honest I went to get get the blue and picked up the red by mistake. opps. They will go on to the blue next time.

I don't every feed the recommended amount and going in to summer the amount will be reduced to next to nothing. As for now the are getting half a stubbs scoop which is more than enough.

There are a couple of things I really like about simple systems, that fact you don't need a vit and min sup, its cereal free and you can ride after feeding and give when you get back.

Amazing and can't wait to see how the boys do on it.

Chanter needs the red ones as he struggles more to maintain weight.

I feed alfa A oil to our exracer and he is grand even with limited turn out over winter :wink:

newrider.com