Showing a traditional heavyweight cob...

LibLen

Jun 25, 2016
Hi all.

I have a traditional heavyweight cob youngster. He is currently 17 months old and I would like to show him next year to get him some experience. I don't necessarily plan on showing him for the long run, I just want to get him out and about.

I have never done in hand showing before (well I did one class at college but I don't count that!) So I am looking for some advice as to what I should be doing with him now. He leads very well and stands etc but we just Potter about the farm visiting lots of scary stuff as he is only a baby. Obviously he gets tied up to be groomed and what not.

This is turning into a bit of a ramble so I am looking for preparation advice and also (if I have managed to upload a photo) does he look fat? He has always been turned out and there is minimal grazing. I give him hay and he has just started having a handful of light chaff with supplements for joint and bone growth in. He looks weird in the photo as his bum has just shot up making him look all wonky!

Attachments

• PicsArt_09-18-08.34.16.jpg
    PicsArt_09-18-08.34.16.jpg
    714.5 KB · Views: 22
what a sweety! Ive not really done much showing so cant help sorry, but I do love a cob !

Reactions: LibLen
WHAT a handsome chap! I do love a solid colour traditional. And he has such a lovely kind face.

I believe that there are specific classes for solids among the traditional fraternity, since so many of them are coloured, but at local shows I expect you'll be all together.

Here's the breed standard for a Traditional Gypsy Cob: http://www.tgca.co.uk/breedstandard.htm

Obviously he will need to be gleaming, especially those lovely white feet! Mane, tail and feather are all very important, but he should look completely natural so no plaiting, tweaking or pulling required.

I would say that his eye and outlook show he has that lovely cob disposition, so you could concentrate on getting him leading so as to show off his action and movement.

Have fun!

ETA he looks well covered, and I know youngsters are supposed to be skinny, but I think given the time of year he's probably ok?

WHAT a handsome chap! I do love a solid colour traditional. And he has such a lovely kind face.

I believe that there are specific classes for solids among the traditional fraternity, since so many of them are coloured, but at local shows I expect you'll be all together.

Here's the breed standard for a Traditional Gypsy Cob: http://www.tgca.co.uk/breedstandard.htm

Obviously he will need to be gleaming, especially those lovely white feet! Mane, tail and feather are all very important, but he should look completely natural so no plaiting, tweaking or pulling required.

I would say that his eye and outlook show he has that lovely cob disposition, so you could concentrate on getting him leading so as to show off his action and movement.

Have fun!

ETA he looks well covered, and I know youngsters are supposed to be skinny, but I think given the time of year he's probably ok?

Thanks, he is such a lovely boy. He leads very well but I think I need to work on him being more forwards as he is so relaxed and I will need to get him trotting on the lead rein.

Yes, he should trot out with energy and impulsion and preferably have a good high action with hocks and knees. Let's see those feathers swing!

Yes, he should trot out with energy and impulsion and preferably have a good high action with hocks and knees. Let's see those feathers swing!

He has anot amazing action when he is pissing around in the field doing his posh trot but this is a rare occasions. He is usually just so calm and when I lead him he just potters along next to me, you don't even know he's on the end of your rope. I think getting him moving forward with enthusiasm is going to be the hard part!

newrider.com