She's One Step Ahead Of Me

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
I ordered some Raspberry leaf. I am a little skeptical of the volume you appear to need to feed though. This is because I feed just 5grams of something else, 20grams sounds huge.

Introduce gradually they say. Yep but it stinks!!! They don't mention that. I think I had an allergic sneezing reaction to it.
I gave her two finger pinches and will slowly slowly increase.
My issue is she isn't fed so disguising this is totally a non starter. I might run out of apple to stick it to.

She is one step ahead, came into season when I put back. Almost as if to say well that won't help this one will it.:D

@Jessey if we get to a stick it up your wotsit, do you still feed? I will try my best but can just see the smell putting her off, unless it tastes nice. Maybe should have got liquid form.

No help but I was surprised to read that it stinks! All I know about rasberry leaf is that pregnant women shouldn't drink raspberry leaf tea. I always imagined it would smell really nice!

I expected no smell or at least pleasant. She had eaten it so I am relying on her likely the rate as I increase it.
She refused Brewers Yeast point blank, that smells.
So ponies don't eat everything.

I've never noticed it smelling, jess will virtually eat it on its own, a sliced carrot sticks most of it :) Jess gets a big handful when she's on it, which I will start again in the next week or so.
Raspberry leaf tea is only reccomended in the last trimester of pregnancy as it helps everything relax to give an easy birth, not something you want earlier in pregnancy, I presume that is why it helps mares who get tight and uncomfortable with their seasons :)
So you could make your own liquid @newforest, just steep it in boiling water but you'd probably need a handful of chaff to soak it up in to feed it

Today it smelt strongly of a herb. I think it might have been the initial opening of the bag.
She is eating two pinches, so will work out how to gradually increase it so she gets to 20 grams.
Do you feed from now till October or just the worst to come season?

I've done just for tge first few seasons and Feb till dec, it depends on how she's doing, I just play it by ear. I don't think they reccomend you stop feeding for x ammount of time, I just like to give her system a break when I can

Just updating for my notes.
Back in season.

The nicker with mini rear and leg flick was a pretty good clue she was feeling fruity! She just doesn't do this usually.
Hacking out she felt ok in trot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jessey
Bugger.
In again and we are going away. I would actually have arranged for that not to clash!
Onto the second bag and if it helps she can stay on it until probably September.
@ jessey then her system could have three months break. Is that similar to you?

newrider.com