Settling a horse into a new home

cariadbach10

Happily Hacking
Sep 16, 2007
Devon
Well, subject to Thursday afternoon's vetting I should have a horse shaped package arrriving on Friday evening!!!
Through my excitement I am half thinking about how I might go about settling him in....I was thinking about keeping himin on Friday night - its american barn stabling so he will be able to see the other neds....then out for a few hours on sat morning between 7 and 9.30.
The saddle fitters coming at 10 so he'll have to come in for that...then back out again. Does that sound okay?
I'm a bit of a nervous nellie rider...not sure how soon to ride him after he's arrived, or whether to do groundwork first. If so how long?
Any other reccomendations for settling them in?:confused:

when i have new horses as they can take a time to settle in but if you have a basic rountine of riding feeding etc
the move would be less stressful if you moved
ie for exsample do as you have always done by that i mean ride the horse

for exsample if you went to a show - you would ride the horse bring it back and put it away

so carry on as you mean to go on - horses love routines

I tend to let them out asap with the herd they will be with and let him learn from them. They settle well enough.

Nowhere near a good enough post Cariadbach. What, When, Where, PICS:D:D
far more info needed, have you bought him, do you have him on trial

Is it an ARAB????????:D;)

see how he is when he arrives, nervous, excited, sweaty etc., put him in the stable for a couple of hours with a big hay net and then introduce him to the others asap, there is never a GOOD time but best to get it over and done with, all horses are better outside than in (unless of course for health reasons). If you are nervous about turning him out with the others, especially if you have him on trial, (you don't want an injury if he may be going back) is there a field next to the others that you could turn him out in so that he can meet them initially over the fence?

Some horses settle very quickly others take ages so you will have to judge at the time, but spend time with him grooming etc., and maybe after the first or second day go for a little hack, I guess it depends on how he is at the time, and what he has done before personality etc., or if you are a bit :eek: take him out for a walk in-hand to just show him the area.

Best of luck, how exciting:D

Last edited:
Reactions: 9374jane
I've always gone on how the horse seems. Sal went into his stable for an hour or so while I sorted things out with his previous owner, paid the remainder of what I owed (I gave half as a deposit, and the rest on arrival as she dropped him off for me), and got a few things sorted out for the evening. He seemed perfectly chilled, so he was heavily rugged and booted (armoured to the hilt - just in case! :rolleyes:) and turned out with the herd. I was able to keep an eye on him for a couple of hours before bringing him in for the night. After a bit of squealing and the odd kick, the horses were fine and settled down to grazing.

I think with a more nervous horse, I may be tempted to keep them in for the first night, and let them settle with a haynet, and then introduce them to the herd one at a time or over a SOLID fence before turning out with the others.

I normally start off leading a new horse around the yard before riding. It takes the pressure off, and a more nervous horse will probably appreciate having you on foot (any monsters will grab you first; it's a fact of nature ;)). I've always ridden on the following day - usually a short schooling session (I've found the new surroundings tend to make even the most schoolmastery of horses a bit spooky) in an enclosed area, and then a short ride around the yard with someone on foot, just for safety's sake. But it all depends on your particular horse and how you judge them to be settling in.

Good luck! I bet you're having a hard time thinking about anything else! :D

I agree with Sez - base your decision on how the horse reacts.

When I got C he spend first night in stable to settle then was popped into the field the next day and just left to sort it out! I also rode him the day after he arrived and took him a walk round the yard to let him see everything!

Have just moved to new yard - hacked him there - he got 10 minutes in new stable and then chucked out into the field to meet his new friends.

This worked fine for him as he is a very chilled horse but as I said will depend on how the horse reacts.

Good luck with everything!:D

if its going to be dark when he arrives leave him in, then turn him out with the others the next day.

if hes coming in and seeming excited about his new home maybe dont ride him.. (if your nervous) BUT if your having a saddle fitted you will need to ride on it anyway?

so i guess 2 choices.... let him have a few days, and get to know him on the ground

or.... have a glass of wine and jump on!

i dont want to put you off, but knowing your circamstances, if he was a bit on his toes and you got on nervous, it may not help you in the long run.

i think though Em you now need to stop jumping up and down and do some work :D

Agree with other posts - very much depends on the individual horse. Play it by ear. Some settle straight away, others just don't. My new horse dropped significant amounts of weight in her first week - really off her food although no box walking or shouting or banging in her stable etc. Second week - eating like a pig and all the weight went back on. But I would advise not to be in a hurry to ride, especially hacking out, if horse seems edgy - turn out instead, walk in hand, graze in hand etc.

Hey congrats on the new horse!
Alot of people ride the day they get there, however i am a firm believer that you should let the horse settle into it's routine. So what i do is bring them back and do the same routine they will have with you for at least a week before riding. I find this also helps to build up a bit of a relationship with the horse before you get on! :)

Good luck..

What ever routine you may have, never goes to plan so I wouldnt bother! Just go with how the horse is reacting to the move. If he appears stressed in his stable, then perhaps put him out - Although its best to introduce them as quickly as possible and then its over with. They do appear to adjust to new horses very well. My taz moved yesterday, and he was an absolute gem....I hope the move is as calm and enjoyable for you both too! Good luck!:)

[/ATTACH]

Here's Alfie!.He's 15 and a TB cross. Very level headed (hope this carries over ot his new yard) and has done hunter trials, BSJA and quite a bit more, so hopefully he will teach me a thing or two!:)

Attachments

• alfie 275.JPG
    alfie 275.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 8
  • alfie 275 conf.JPG
    alfie 275 conf.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
He's gorgeous - I'm coming to steal him!!

Hope he settles in happily and you start having fun together!

I'm just praying he passes the vet. He has to be in at night with three :eek: rugs on as he's fully clipped out!Well done for pointing out that I will have to ride him on sat morning to check the saddle fit- eek!

em... oh my god im so cruel... pluto is fully clipped and lives out with 1 rug on!

if your worried em, i really dont mind coming over and ridding him for the saddle fitting, i really dont want you to be nervous or loose and confidence with him.

newrider.com