Scurfy skin

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
Raf's skin over his loins has gone kind of sticky and scurfy and I'm brushing out black specks. My instinct is to give him a good bath but as I first noticed it after he had a mini bath with medicated shampoo during the last spell of hot weather, I'm not sure whether it would be better to leave welll alone. He has similar on his eats which the vet said was dermatitis,

Would you bath or not?

Is he rugged? can you take a pic of it? (the black specs bit has me wondering as I can't think of dermatitis type things that cause black bits)

Reactions: Bodshi
Lottie gets scurfy skin, always dandruff when I brush she's also prone to sweat folliculitis. Not had black bits before though. Vet told me hibiscrub would do a similar job as malsab so if I've got no medicated shampoo I dilute some hibiscrub and wash her in that. So I'd probably give him a good bath whilst we've got some warm weather with medicated shampoo.

Lottie gets scurfy skin, always dandruff when I brush she's also prone to sweat folliculitis. Not had black bits before though. Vet told me hibiscrub would do a similar job as malsab so if I've got no medicated shampoo I dilute some hibiscrub and wash her in that. So I'd probably give him a good bath whilst we've got some warm weather with medicated shampoo.
I gave Jess a hibiscrub bath on sunday to hopefully get her skanky skin under control :)

Reactions: Bodshi and Lissie
Thanks both. I think the black bits are just bits of skin @Jessey because if I dig down with my fingernails under his hair his skin kind of rubs off like that - it isn't dry and flaky, more greasey. I haven't taken a picture stupidly but I doubt it will show up very well. I'll try get one later.

Reactions: Jessey
Aloe vera shampoo is really good for stuff like this. Always worked well for Mouse, I couldn't use medicated stuff on him because he reacted to it.

I would probably try something like malaseb if you have any? I seemed to have loads at one point because the vet kept giving it me as part of the prep for Chloe's feather mite treatment. Do you think it's just a combo o warm weather and coat changing still? Ours are still shedding, they are a bit later than usual and Zi looks raggy round the edges.

Vet told me hibiscrub would do a similar job as malsab
Just out of interest I looked it up, both are chlorhexidine gluconate, though Malaseb also has miconazole nitrate which hibi doesn't have. People wonder where I come out with random info from, it's because I like to look up stuff like this. Out if interest corsodyl human toothpaste and mouthwash is also chlorhexidine.........:p

Reactions: Lissie and Bodshi
IMG_2017.JPG Thanks all. It could be the heat I suppose @Trewsers, he has been looking pretty well in his coat overall, it's just when I brush him. Got a picture tonight, I've scratched up his hairs to release some of the black stuff, normally when I brush him it comes out in tiny specks.

I like the idea of trying soothing aloe Vera shampoo, thanks @joosie. I think I'll try that first. I have hibiscrub if that doesn't work.

View attachment 93274 Thanks all. It could be the heat I suppose @Trewsers, he has been looking pretty well in his coat overall, it's just when I brush him. Got a picture tonight, I've scratched up his hairs to release some of the black stuff, normally when I brush him it comes out in tiny specks.

I like the idea of trying soothing aloe Vera shampoo, thanks @joosie. I think I'll try that first. I have hibiscrub if that doesn't work.
Is his skin black? could just be dandruff from dark skin?

Is his skin black? could just be dandruff from dark skin?

Yes, I think it is some sort of dandruff, but it's not normal for him, so was worried about whether bathing him again might make it worse, given that it started after the medicated shampoo bath that I gave him a few weeks ago, but that could just be coincidence. Jack can be a bit dandruffy at times, but his is dry and more flaky, whereas Raf's is greasy little lumps. Haha, sorry I'm probably not making much sense :p

I think Aloe Vera is the way forward though, gives me the option of bathing him to try and get rid of it whilst feeling fairly safe that it won't cause any further irritation.

Yes, I think it is some sort of dandruff, but it's not normal for him, so was worried about whether bathing him again might make it worse, given that it started after the medicated shampoo bath that I gave him a few weeks ago, but that could just be coincidence. Jack can be a bit dandruffy at times, but his is dry and more flaky, whereas Raf's is greasy little lumps. Haha, sorry I'm probably not making much sense :p

I think Aloe Vera is the way forward though, gives me the option of bathing him to try and get rid of it whilst feeling fairly safe that it won't cause any further irritation.
The medicated stuff can be pretty harsh on skin and strip oils out of the coat so the kick into overdrive producing more, aloe vera sounds like a good bet for settling it down :)

newrider.com