Dismiss Notice

Hi, we hope you enjoy looking around New Rider. We are a very friendly board so don't feel afraid to ask your questions. Register now, say 'Hello' and join in the conversations.

Saddle fitting prices-opinions please

Discussion in 'Tack & Saddlery' started by Vicki&Milo, May 23, 2009.

1. Vicki&Milo

Vicki&Milo The Apprectices

The time has come to get Milo's SC saddle adjusted, I'm pretty sure its a bit wide for him now.
    As I'm new round these parts I looked on the SC website but the nearest saddle fitter is no longer trading.
    I contacted another one listed and she has got back to me today and we arranged a date. I was riding at the time and not really processing things properly, but having thought about it I'm having palpatations at the price she gave me.
    £25 call out fee (sounds about right) and £1 a mile each way :eek: that would make me at £85 before we've got any further.
    Before when I was further south (although only in Sheffield) Norm came (all the way from the cotswolds-although obviously not just for me) and adjusted it for £30.
    Is £1 a mile each way + a call out fee about the standard rate (or does anyone know a closer SC fitter to me!)

Vx

2. Elly Koopman

Elly Koopman New Member

I pay £45/time regardless of whether a saddle is fitted or not.

Think I'm in the wrong job!!

3. Vicki&Milo

I was expecting about £40 but £85 :eek: I may as well buy a new saddle each time if its going to cost that just to get her out to adjust it (I'm not sure if she's going to charge more to actually do the adjusting)

4. Advert Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  5. Method_Acting

Method_Acting New Member

sounds a bit steep to me... how far away are they?

my saddler (not SC saddler, but decent and thorough) came out about 4 times trying various saddles on my pony and didn't charge a penny.... when we found a saddle he didn't charge for any of the 4 times either, i only ever paid for the saddle!

I wouldn't have minded paying though, I know he is exceptionally kind..

6. Yann

Yann Guest

Have you tried contacting Norm? He owes us a visit really, and possibly one other person, so it might be worth a try.

7. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Active Member

Hi all, who is Norm? Does he just re-fit, or sell too?

Thanks

8. Vicki&Milo

Poppy-Norm is 'poohsmate' who used to post on here a lot and he sells and fits SC saddles. I never had a lot of luck getting hold of him by phone and he doesn't seem to post any more. I also think its quite desperate so was trying to get it done quickly.

She's coming 30 miles each way, which is why its costing so much, but I just thought charging for EVERY mile (not having some area covered automatically) seemed a bit tight, after all its kind of part of the job, especially with a call out fee too. Glad I'm not the only one, I may ring her and try and come to some sort of deal.

9. Joyscarer

Joyscarer Active Member

I now pay £45 a go too and my fitter is about 6 miles away.

10. Louki

Louki New Member

Thats the first ive heard of a saddler charging for millage each way ! Normally its only charged to get to you.

11. Lolly-lu

Lolly-lu New Member

Wow, i'm in east sussex and i paid £20 total call out charge for a master saddler..

12. Soot

Soot Paranoid!

I wasted £20 on rubbish saddler in Sussex ;).

Now with recommended saddler @ £30 callout for first visit

13. Blazeyboyloverx

Blazeyboyloverx I Love Blaze..x

That is a total rip off. I paid £40 for our saddle to be fitted!

14. Daffy Dilly

Daffy Dilly New Member

My saddle fitter has a £75 call out fee (not sure if it's different for others) but he does come all the way from Cheshire.

I'm happy to pay it, because he's the only one in the area who can deal with my saddle, he knows his stuff and he comes out on weekends and ridiculously late in the evenings, so he can fit us in on short notice.

15. Clava

Clava New Member

Thats odd I thought I'd already posted on this - I paid £20 for my saddle to be checked and slightly restuffed:D. Lovely lady who has just moved her horses to round the corner from me, with an ex-racer so I'm hopeful ww'll get to hack out together sometime::)

16. alliersv

alliersv Jaffa cake!

Our local saddle fitter charges £40 per visit, plus 40p a mile. If there is more than one horse then it is £35 each. I think he deducts that fee if you buy a saddle from him too.

17. mikh

mikh New Member

I pay 45 and she comes 30odd miles

18. Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi Every Day Is A School Day

Would Norm deal with other saddles (in particular my Thorowgood on my new boy) or just SC saddles?

If he does then I'm happy to jump on the list for his next visit if that will help convince him to come/ bring the price down.

19. appaloosamare

appaloosamare New Member

£35 and she comes over 100 miles to me ...but I try to arrange for her to get teaching and fitting appointments locally - has worked brilliantly.....

Have bought two saddles from her in past year and one of them was recently fitted by her to my youngster as well so bonus.... thrilled!!

20. Iron Maiden

Iron Maiden Koumpounophobic?

I'm up for a Norm visit if you get in touch with him :)

21. beki x-x

beki x-x uses to many smilies :o

if you email them with your full address they can tell you ones that arent listed that might be closer :)

The FREE site for selling smallholdings, farms and rural properties