Rugging in winter

Keatley7119

Mar 22, 2016
South Australia
Here in Australia we are about to finish our winter soon and a thought has only just hit me about my girl who is a QH x STB.

I don't rug any of my horses as they are in a 100 acre paddock and I wouldn't have time to go out and take their rugs off in the morning because of school. I have only just realised that she doesn't grow a winter coat.... Should I be rugging her? She doesn't seem to get cold but she has a short coat all year round. She gets it from her sire (QH paint)
She is only a 4yo and this is my first winter with her which is why I haven't realised until now

What are your thoughts?

If she's comfortable then you don't need to rug. With a 100 acre paddock I'm guessing she has plenty to graze on & natural shelter, plus space to move round to keep warm. There are no hard & fast rules on rugging, you just keep an eye on a horse & do what it needs.

If she's come out of winter looking ok I really wouldn't worry, I'm a big believer in 'if it aint broke, why fix it' if she's happy and healthy leave her be. :)

Reactions: Keatley7119
As the other have said every horse is different. I have a Welsh x who despite being as fluffy as a bear each year can't go without a rug if it's wet, he just dropped weight no mater how good the grazing or shelter was.

My friend doesn't rug her mares and they are always as fat as barrels

Reactions: Keatley7119
newrider.com