teaandtoast00

Oct 25, 2015
Hey...

So I have a horse (F) and a pony (J) - both need new rugs! The pony's rugs are old and don't fit particularly well - we inherited both him and his rugs! And the horse is new(ish) and didn't come with any rugs.

Decided to buy a Shires Highlander Lite for both of them (as I have a Tempest Lite and it's good - just doesn't fit either of them well (size too big for J and size too small for F), then buy the new Warmarug liners to use with it. When they arrived, unfortunately they were too big for J and so I'm going to return them. I tried the rug on F and it was a bit big around the chest area but I knew that the size down was too small so I decided just to stick with it. The first time it rained, poor F was completely soaked underneath the rug! And it wasn't just around his shoulders - which I would put down to the fact it was slightly big - it was his back, shoulders, hindquarters, everywhere!!! So now that's getting sent to Shires for them to test it.

To tide us over until they get nice shiny new rugs that are fit for purpose, J has his old rugs and F is wearing the Tempest Lite. I think that Shires rugs just don't fit particularly well on F - the 6'6" was the right length in the body but was too big around the shoulders, and the 6'3" is too short in the body but still slightly baggy around the shoulders. He's not particularly delicate either - he's an Appaloosa - he's not chunky by any means but he's not like a TB.

I'm now in a slight dilemma of what to do about rugs and what brand to go for. I don't have a lot of money to spend so can't afford things like Premier Equine, Rambo, etc. I managed to get the rugs and the liners for around £100. I was originally going to try to source secondhand rugs on eBay, but most are non-returnable which makes me not want to risk it.

Are Requisite rugs any good? Derby House? Any other 'cheap' rug brands? Any suggestions on brands that may fit better than Shires?

I realise that this post is sort of over the place, sorry!!

I have a lovely Robinsons Requisite and it has been excellent quality and fit for madam. She hates rugs normally but will tolerate this one (just!) and it was a good price too.
I also have Amigos and Gfs which have been good.

I don't buy cheap rugs. It's a false economy. My older horse wears Fals that are now 15/16 years old and still going strong. They were expensive at the time (£175-200) but there's a reason and they've lasted. I've a lovely konabo with washable liners but I don't think you can buy them any more.

I like masta and jumpers. Both not massively expensive. The amigo rugs have served my welsh cob well too and again won't break the bank.

Have a look at swish rugs. I'm slowly converting and swapping all my rugs to swish as they wear out. I don't buy expensive rugs as unfortunately I have done in the past, they still get ripped, and worst of all, stolen. Cheaper rugs don't get nicked, and I aim to buy them as cheap as poss so they either go off to be cleaned or get replaced like for like.

I like Weatherbeetas. My girl has skinny shoulders and they are a good fit on her.

My QHx wears weatherbeeta's, they fit her the best of all, that or amigo's. Shires are a total no go for us, they are just the wrong cut.
Don't mean to be a pushy seller but I got a bonus from work and treated my girl to new rugs this year and have a 6'6" weatherbeeta genero (I think) combo medium weight for sale for 30 quid plus postage, it did have a little patch professionally sewn on the neck by the strap and is a little muddy but is in one piece and waterproof. I have pics if you are interested.

I had some gorgeous expensive Mark Todd rugs that I won, but had to sell them as they just didn't fit Roxy at all - loads of gaping round her shoulders. Robinson Requisite didn't fit her either - too long and again, too much gaping on her shoulders. Weatherbeeta Genero fit her well, and I've got a Saxon medium turnout that's a really nice fit and was only £30 in the sale. It's a bit suck-it-and-see with rugs really!

The two best makes I've ever owned were Fal Pro and Eskadron, neither cheap but worth every single penny, never leaked even in torrential rain and really well made, I've tried several 'cheaper' brands but within a few weeks were leaking in the rain. If you can at all stretch to the Fal rugs they will last for years.

I don't buy cheap rugs. It's a false economy. My older horse wears Fals that are now 15/16 years old and still going strong. They were expensive at the time (£175-200) but there's a reason and they've lasted. I've a lovely konabo with washable liners but I don't think you can buy them any more.

I like masta and jumpers. Both not massively expensive. The amigo rugs have served my welsh cob well too and again won't break the bank.

It's not always, a false economy. I've bought two expensive, branded rugs and both didn't last a season. Mine is out in a large herd though (25 horses), it might be different if he was in a small group.

The only time I'd currently spend any significant money now on rugs, is on coolers as I do think the original Thermatex are worth it.

My boy generally wears amigos or whetherbetta.I find the amigos fit him well. I like both makes and feel they last a while I wont spend millions on just one rug though. I wont spend more then £130 on a rug which sounds loads but

Pete's mum, it's an entirely individual choice as to what rugs you purchase. In my experience, the high price brands have proved worth investing in. I'm merely stating my experience as I have horses of a similar build to the OP.

I've just bought Swish rugs to replace two that were goners on my livery mate's advice. They are very good quality and fit well and were super cheap. I'd recommend them.

As I was merely stating mine Eventerbabe - if I've caused any offense, my apologies.

newrider.com