Riens for weak handed para rider

Just bumping this because I also have left wrist weakness and it worries me when trotting on hacks.

For worries read terrifies, I am really frightend that he will want to go faster than I want and I havn't got the strength to pull him up or the skill to stay on.

I know this is daft becasue i never had the srength to stop a Fell pony if he really decided to go, and I have never had to actually pull him anywhere. He is really good, but I have got a case of the Nellies big time.

Anyone?

The RDA client that comes fortnightly to carriage drive and has CP uses reins with handles on them.

Ladder reins or bar reins would be a possibility. If she has a specific disability it would be worth her getting an RDA grading and then she would get a dispensation to use them in competition.

Rein-Bows!!!
http://reinbows.com/

My boss bought me a pair to put on my reins for showjumping. I have bad circulation in my hands which makes them fairly weak, and often struggle to keep enough grip on the reins to stop them slipping through my hands. The horse I compete is quite strong whilst jumping and I found it difficult to hold him together without the reins sliding through my hands - the Rein-Bows remove a lot of the effort and have been an excellent help. My boss also nicks them on occasion when schooling/competing strong horses.

Last edited:
A lot will depend on just how the hand is weak. For example, I made a moveable handle on reins for someone who had poor grip. But that might not be the best solution for someone who could grip OK, but lacked strength otherwise. I'd echo the suggestion to speak to RDA - they may have just the thing!

Rein-Bows!!!
http://reinbows.com/

My boss bought me a pair to put on my reins for showjumping. I have bad circulation in my hands which makes them fairly weak, and often struggle to keep enough grip on the reins to stop them slipping through my hands. The horse I compete is quite strong whilst jumping and I found it difficult to hold him together without the reins sliding through my hands - the Rein-Bows remove a lot of the effort and have been an excellent help. My boss also nicks them on occasion when schooling/competing strong horses.

these are good! I put these on my son's reins. He is dyspraxic so has poor muscle tone/strength/dexterity

newrider.com