Riding in this heat and Micklem bridles

If the tarmac is melting it's way too hot to be riding on the road.
The road is hotter than the air temperature.

The OP question is "who is riding in the heat"
I rode today in walk. My lease horse had already gone out at 6am. I want to get out earlier than I did today- it won't be 6am.

I didn't get out today, it was cooler this morning than yesterday morning but I had too much on. I brought both in early as my laminitis app was off the scales so I decided to get them off the grass early and I only got to put them out after 9pm tonight as we were getting some digger work done in the field this evening and the gates had to be left open so I couldn't turn them out til the guys had stopped working.
I did manage to ride last night at 8pm before I turned him out as it was a bit cooler but we still took it easy. I had a canter up the hill and I was in my forward seat when he did a big spook sideways, I ended up over his neck but he stopped and stood still until I righted myself again :oops::p

Reactions: Jessey
I rode yesterday. I didnt canter - as horse had some hours work (tho that didnt happen). What we did do in walk was go up and down some quite steep paths in walk which knowledgeable young RI said was good for fitness. Picking out the way on narrow paths, balancing on the gradients and preventing eating from high growth on either side, proved excellent schooling. Horse listening.
Me concentrating. Then I chose to experiment with placing of feet and turns - as per thread by KPnut. Horse barely sweaty at all when untacked. We were using our minds not our bodies.I often say I learned to ride out hacking and it has been summer days I remember most.

But just so you private owners know what goes on in London, with tax payers' money. Should this horse be working this morning? Or not?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-40347339

I had a RAF comp on Saturday in full number 1 uniform. It is fair to say I did not 'warm up' how I would for a normal Novice I did a bit in walk on bending and flexing then a couple of circles in trot and a few short canter transitions. 15 minutes max will walk in between. He still pulled a 65% test out the bag bless him more so after 3 weeks off due to a mouth sore (his not mine).

I have not worked him since but that is due to moving house and work. I intend to be back on board tomorrow night even for a gentle walk but again no more than 10-15 minutes if its before 7 at night after that it is a lot cooler and I would ride for longer but with lots of breaks.

I have noticed that when offered shade the boys don't want it they are OK in the sun its the flies they hate.

I tried the bridle on Ginger and he hated it would not soften and went round with his head in the air

Some members have a way with words and will put this better than me.

But what sort of a comment is ' just so you private owners know what goes on in London?
You haven't answered your own question. Is that because you view yourself as different from everyone else? What do you feel about the horse in the article?
Funnily enough I watched the Queen's birthday and today. Are you going to let her know she should sell her winsor greys because its too hot and the police officers should get a bike? Or are you linking that thread because you agree.

But just so you private owners know what goes on in London, with tax payers' money. Should this horse be working this morning? Or not?

I do know what goes on in London. I watch the news every evening. Yes I am also a tax payer.. I don't know what your comment suggests??

I haven't ridden for 4 days because for my lot that are bred and raised in the cool and wet climate of southern Ireland, this recent heat is beyond what they are acclimatised to, and I am too old to rise at dawn and take advantage of the cooler dawn hours. will not risk their health and wellbeing just so I can have a hot and sweaty ride out later in the day. When I lived in the Uk I probably would still have ridden either early morning or very late evening, but those horses were more accustomed to higher summer temperatures than the animals I have now.

Personally what weather the Queen rides in is really not something I would use to make a rational judgement on the advisability of riding or not??? Does one seriously use that as a guide - does one seriously think that going to a riding school, and riding out on a well used hireling that has to earn its keep come hell or high water is even remotely similar to the background and care programme afforded to the Queen's mounts? I think not! Does one also think that the criteria for acceptable temperatures for a competition polo pony is in anyway comparable to that which is acceptable for a riding school hireling or a privately owned pleasure horse? :rolleyes:

Oh and just to add - despite living in the arse end of nowhere in the bogs of Ireland I do actually know what is happening across the pond and surprisingly I am quite well read on quite a wide range of subjects that are going on world wide, and in no way related to living outside London!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-40347339

Must admit I'm a little confused by this too? Whats being a private owner got to do with what goes on in London, or anywhere for that matter and I really don't understand the reference to 'taxpayers money' but then I am an oaf, a country bumkin if you like.

Reactions: Trewsers
I think it stands to reason that a working horse will be asked to work in situations when a leisure horse might not be. Not because working in heat/rain/wind is unfair on the horse but because leisure riding is meant to be fun! And so it can be readily missed in weather that is less enjoyable to ride in. If my car broke down I'd get public transport to work but would probably cancel evening plans. I have missed a few rides but I've not missed any lessons - even in hot weather. If I book a lesson I feel a sense of commitment to my instructor- so my motto is if she'll teach in it, I will ride in it! But faced with no obligations at all, then I can be choosier about when/whether to ride.

Reactions: squidsin and Jessey
One wouldn’t know, One isn’t The Queen :D One does suffer terribly in temperatures above 24deg though and One is going to need shares in Sure Cotton Fresh soon!!

Reactions: Cortrasna
newrider.com