Riding hat recommendations please??

G

I'm wanting a new riding hat but don't really know where to start! I mainly do hacking and hoping to do the odd bit of dressage and showing once I've got going with my new horse etc., so don't want to be spending a lot of money, maybe upto £100 as it'll just be an everyday hat.
My current Charles Owen skull cap drives me mad as often in the wind out hacking my hat silk keeps flying off!! So I'm looking at hats other than skull caps.
Wanting something which isn't too bulky on my head! And comfy/lightweight too.
Any suggestions are welcomed

You need to go to a tack shop with a good range, different hats fit differently & the only way to know what suits you is to try them on. Safety is everything so make sure it meets the latest requirements and is fitted correctly.

As for your silk flying off, I'd think you either haven't got it on properly or it's too small. Jockeys don't have that problem & they're going a darn sight faster than you!

You need to go to a tack shop with a good range, different hats fit differently & the only way to know what suits you is to try them on. Safety is everything so make sure it meets the latest requirements and is fitted correctly.

As for your silk flying off, I'd think you either haven't got it on properly or it's too small. Jockeys don't have that problem & they're going a darn sight faster than you!
Yeah thanks I am going to try on obviously and get it fitted, just wanted recommendations on good makes which were slimline etc.
My hat silk is quite old and I have got it on properly, think it's just become baggy due to its age.

My Gatehouse skull has a rough surface to grip the silk. Don't know whether any other makes do the same?

I was with a friend when she got a new hat recently and the lady fitter said that all hats are a bit bulkier than they used to be because of the new standards. Mind, that could just have been sales spiel! Friend tried two very similar looking hats but one pressed on the top of her ears and made them stick out. It depends very much on the shape of your head as to what will suit you. I look a bugger in all of them lol.

Reactions: Taffie
Yeah thanks I am going to try on obviously and get it fitted, just wanted recommendations on good makes which were slimline etc.
My hat silk is quite old and I have got it on properly, think it's just become baggy due to its age.

In that case just get another silk - problem, such as it is, solved!

My Gatehouse skull has a rough surface to grip the silk. Don't know whether any other makes do the same?

I was with a friend when she got a new hat recently and the lady fitter said that all hats are a bit bulkier than they used to be because of the new standards. Mind, that could just have been sales spiel! Friend tried two very similar looking hats but one pressed on the top of her ears and made them stick out. It depends very much on the shape of your head as to what will suit you. I look a bugger in all of them lol.

My Champion skull is like that too Bodshi. And you're friend's fitter is right, the modern hats are bulkier but I feel that's a small price to pay for better protection.

If the hat fits you, just get another silk.

If you plan to compete you will need an up to date hat anyway as they just changed the rules. So you could wait until you start competing.

Our head size dictates the hat. I am a skull cap head apparently. I don't find them bulky, didn't they improve on this? @carthorse mine is a child's size though.

I have a JTE now which I find comfortable but it took trying loads to find it. It doesn't need a silk as has a peak and is matt black suede type material, but it wouldn't be legal for some types of comp due to having a fixed peak, its okay for dressage tho.

I have found that whilst they are the same size some makes fit me better than others so its worth trying a few. I actually spent more on my "everyday" hat as its the one that spends most time on my head and its therefore important that its comfortable (I have a Gatehouse vented one, not sure of the model)

newrider.com