Riding Clubs - questions to ask?

Bodshi

Apr 23, 2009
Yorkshire
A friend has suggested we join a RC. To be honest it's never really appealed to me before, but I think it could be fun with a friend. I've looked at the websites/FB pages of our local clubs but can find very little information, other than dates for training or competitions. Not much information about where the training is or even how to join and how much it costs.

So I may have to ring round to find out more info. Is there anything I should ask, other than the obvious how much, where is the club field/training and what times (thinking 5 pm on a work night won't be any good)? I don't really know what goes on at riding clubs so don't know what else to ask. If anyone belongs to a club and would like to share the good/bad things about it, it would be appreciated :)

I belonged for three or four years. Our club was great, they compete at national level in all the major disciplines (including that thing where 4 horses do stuff together in costume) but they do loads of low level training for numpties like me. Ziggy and I did a few TREC training sessions, the riding club show which was great fun in a really big venue, and a ODE training day for beginners. I would still belong if I had transport, but I couldn't cope with having to beg a lift every time I wanted to go to something and you don't always want to hack 6 miles to the venue!

I'm in a riding club. It's great. No regular training night but lots of 1 off events: clinics, camps, comps. And it's very social - lots of pub meets and fund raising events.
They vary hugely though - ours is VERY low key with only about 40 members. Others are huge and super-organised. So I guess have a look at the website then ring and ask.

Thanks ladies. I'll ring round. We have 3 approximately equidistant, although I'm not sure where one has it's training sessions. I've found the other two - one has a club field and the other uses an equestrian centre, both approx. 40 minutes drive in a horsebox so it will all boil down to which one suits us best. My friend is one of those people who is full of great ideas and then something else comes along which is an even better idea, so this may never happen lol.

At a tack sale this spring I joined 2 more. I asked a bit about events and meetings etc.
One person lives down the road and hosted the ride I went last fall just after we moved here.

She has contacted me a few times about following them to some other rides.
She is very nice and hosted a meeting a couple weeks ago.

I have not gone off to any rides etc yet because right now I'm basking in not having to put a foot in the trailer to go to a trail.

She totally understood.

At a tack sale this spring I joined 2 more. I asked a bit about events and meetings etc.
One person lives down the road and hosted the ride I went last fall just after we moved here.

She has contacted me a few times about following them to some other rides.
She is very nice and hosted a meeting a couple weeks ago.

I have not gone off to any rides etc yet because right now I'm basking in not having to put a foot in the trailer to go to a trail.

She totally understood.

I never thought about joining more than one! Depends how much it is I suppose.

I messaged one because I couldn't find a contact number and they replied to say they were a friendly group and were planning to organise events over the summer but when I messaged her back to ask for details about joining fees and locations etc she didn't reply.

They are only 15.00 to $ 20.00
A year

I actually belong to 3

The other 2 are new
But so many rides are still not really close

The original one I've belonged to for years
Also includes 2 local magazine's if you belong
And 2 years ago for not a huge premium
You could get forgot the actual name but it's $ 1 million excess insurance
LIKE an umbrella Insurance over and above your normal Liability Insurance

But you have to have normal
Home / car insurance first

Sadly most events are mostly trail rides
Or hunter place etc not gymkhana or
Versatility

45 years ago in New Jersey
I belonged to a gymkhana club

It was Awesome every other week they had one and you got and kept same number

Sunny the first was too funny
He knew our number
When he heard number 32 on Deck announced we were 3 out 2 ahead of us
Lol he would get all excited but in a lovely totally in control way.

Reactions: Bodshi
newrider.com