Ready to move onto Canter

LunaRose

Apr 10, 2010
Well things are going fantastically well with Molly. I am trotting really well on her now and am relaxed and confident when we are hacking out.

So I feel that I am ready to move onto cantering her. Now I have cantered a few times over the last few months but still nervous about cantering her for the first time, is that normal?

She threw a shoe tonight so should I wait till her shoe is back on or would she be alright in the school so long as she doesn't appear foot sore?

I have to say she is the perfect horse for me, even when she is silly she doesnt scare me, she just makes me feel I will be doing everything eventually because me and her are just right.

Also any advice for combating those cantering nerves would appreciated. My canter is technically very poor and I really need to practice it but knowing that scares me. Catch 22 I know I am not very good or secure in canter so I get scared of doing it but the only way I will get better is to practice which involves cantering.

Last edited:
Oooh get you!! I'm just starting to canter again since my total loss of confidence - but not on my own horse - since he's a bit green I'm testing out my balance on the RS horses first. (although I did have one sneaky go and it went ok!)
I would say set yourself up for success and wait until the shoe is back on.
I got my mate to canter my horse in the school and I video'd it. I must have watched it about ten times over and over and it helped me realise that I could do that - it wasn't scary and there were brakes!
Good luck, I've waited a good six months from starting weekly lessons to canter, I now feel really balanced in trot and in control. Now moving up a pace I am back to not having any steering cause I'm concentrating on my seat so much! Maybe worth a try on the lunge?

Why is it do you think that canter feels like such a huge step up from trot? Is it the speed thing? The extra bounce? I dont know why but canter feels like such a huge thing and I am not even gonna go there as far as how HUGE gallop and jumping are!

I think I will wait till shoe is on, dont want to risk hurting her footsies and also dont want to give myself anything extra to worry about.

BTW Flipos mum the "oooh get you" just made me laugh out loud for real! You always make me smile.

Hehe :tongue:. You have to post when you do it - get someone to video so you can laugh at yourself later on (mine makes me chuckle every time.)
My instructor suggested it was time to get me cantering so I can cope with any tanking my boy decides to do - guess thats maybe why its daunting, the pace they always seem to launch into at the first sign of trouble?

Yup, getting someone to video you is a great idea (though I found it difficult to handle when I thought I was sitting too far back in the saddle when I was riding away from the camera, then realised I was sitting exactly where I should and it was my huge bum creating the illusion, but I'm working on that!!!!) then you can watch it over and over when you get the wibbles!

Works for me!

Agree totally about the catch 22 thing, I need to get more practice in, (and it is becoming less scary!!!lol) but I still feel like I need to find a better "seat" on my bad rein (isn't it funny how one handed we are at times - I ride much better on my right rein than left which doesn't make any sense as I am left handed!)

Why is it do you think that canter feels like such a huge step up from trot?

I think it's possibly a speed thing yes as it can feel, look and sound like the horse is having a proper 'run' rather than a nice leisurely jogg. If that makes sense?

Also there's a lot more motion involved from both rider and the horse which I guess can make it seem a bit more violent almost, if you lose your rhythm - if that makes sense? Not trying to scare you!!!

But if you think positive and go in with a can do attitude you'll do great. On a lunge line could be a good idea so you can concentrate more on your balance and seat rather than what you're doing with the reins and steering.

Good luck! :dance:

I might have to hide in the bushes and video you :biggrin: just kidding but well done, I'm pleased things are working out with Molly, we will be out for a hack before you know it.

Kev

Oh, good luck with the cantering! I am sure Molly will take good care of you, she sounds so lovely! :smile:

I am another one in catch-22... Started learning to canter on the lunge a couple of months ago, and now my RI insists I should do it on my own. I get petrified at the very thought of it, have given it a couple of tries, managed to stay on but do not seem to be able to steer at all. For me I think it's all the above mentioned that make me nervous - bounce, speed, etc, and that horrid fast trot before the canter :frown: I am just trying to avoid having to canter in my lessons if I can, but at the same time I am kind of tempted by it 'cause I have strong suspicion that once I master it (or - IF I master it), I will really love it!

The funny thing is - when watching others cantering (while myself standing on solid ground) it seems sooo easy and not scary at all... :wink:

Anyway, hope it goes great for you! Keep us posted! :smile:

Sore stiff but very very happy

Had my first canter yesterday on my friends horse:cloud9:. When i got on him he was like a seaside donkey:sluggish: lol. But soon came alive when he went into canter. Can,t say how happy i was. We went in the woods and across fields did it 7 times and i still wanted more. Was worried how bad it looked:redface: so asked my friend 2 watch me and she said it looked good 2 her. I was scared but told myself it had to be done and boy it was fab. If your worried about trying canter just go for it you won,t regret it. Only bad thing is i,am stiff today and sore.Going out on my horse tmoz and going to have a go on him.

I had a massive crisis of confidence with Joy about 3 years ago.

When it comes to doing anything the key is to think about how you can set yourself up for success. Where would you feel most at home to do it? Pick a day when you are feeling as good as you can and one that coincides with a good calm day for your horse too.

Aim to practice doing a good trot first and only when you get that do you ask for a canter as you'll get a better canter for it.

Try telling yourself that you maybe only do 5 steps to start. Count them! Not only will this help you to think about what your horse is doing rather than what you are doing but it will also give you a definate target to aim. You can increase the number of steps the next time if you want but going for only a few doesn't allow for much in the way of speed and gives less time for you or your horse to become unbalalnced if that were to be an issue. Look at it as transition training rather than cantering if that helps. Remember you don't have to do anything you don't want to do and this is your choice :wink:

Good luck! I know it can seem daunting when you are in the middle of confidence issues. I went from not riding my horse at all and writing her advert to yesterday having yet another flat out gallop and loving it :biggrin:

newrider.com