Pure Feeds

eventerbabe

Dec 16, 2004
Anyone use pure feeds? I was reading a case study about how an itchy dressage horse stopped itching after a feed change (to pure feeds). I don't think Louisa has full blown sweet itch. She only ever itches one patch of her mane, top of the tail and mounting side ear?! I am expecting an order of bite back today for topical application but I am wondering if it is feed sensitivity? I feed garlic but I think I'll take her off that. She's on linseed oil and I have been using coconut oil topically which has helped massively. But if she's reacting to feed topical stuff won't stop it. She's currently fed on a pinch of hifi lite, a pinch of fibre nuts, garlic, linseed oil and her hackup bespoke mare supplement. Pure feeds recommended their pure balance but at 500g a day?!

Anyone use pure feeds? I was reading a case study about how an itchy dressage horse stopped itching after a feed change (to pure feeds). I don't think Louisa has full blown sweet itch. She only ever itches one patch of her mane, top of the tail and mounting side ear?! I am expecting an order of bite back today for topical application but I am wondering if it is feed sensitivity? I feed garlic but I think I'll take her off that. She's on linseed oil and I have been using coconut oil topically which has helped massively. But if she's reacting to feed topical stuff won't stop it. She's currently fed on a pinch of hifi lite, a pinch of fibre nuts, garlic, linseed oil and her hackup bespoke mare supplement. Pure feeds recommended their pure balance but at 500g a day?!
I looked at it, balancers are normally fed at 1g/kg horse weight, it does seem a lot when you're used to not feeding much, but I have found jess does well on balancers and, as long as I go for the low cal version, doesn't gain weight and its super easy as I don't have to add anything to it. I can't remember why I didn't go with Pure Feed, I think it was just getting it, I went with one I can readily buy locally instead.

Feed allergies can certainly make some itchy.

Reactions: eventerbabe
I looked into them, but decided againat them. I now use Equimins Advanced Complete supplement/balancer - it works out cheaper for me too, but more importantly, Pete has never looked or felt better.

I bought a sample pack of their balancer and chaff at YHL a few years back and Albi.... affectionately known as "The Dustbin" for his no-nonsense eating habits..... refused to eat it!! And Jack - the fussy one - tucked in with gusto!!!

newrider.com