Problem with new saddle

Star the Fell

Jun 14, 2015
I had a registered saddle fitter out to check Mylo’s saddle, she agreed his old one was pinching slightly so eventually found me one to fit. At the saddle check Mylo went really nicely in it so I bought it.
Now, about 3 weeks later, his ears go back when he sees it, he nips doing up the girth and he refuses to trot in it.
I have just contacted the fitter again to arrange an appointment, but my thinking is that it’s the cut he doesn’t like. I have gone from a Working Hunter cut to an Event saddle, not for any reason other than it was a good fit on him. I was looking for GP not a dressage, but I think this one may be too forward cut for him and he doesn’t like the restriction in his shoulders. Is that possible?
I am going to ride in his old saddle tomorrow to see if he is any better in that.
I tried him in a treeless, only once, but he didn’t seem to like it.

Definitely possible. Re going back to the old saddle, sometimes you don't get instant positive feedback from them, they need a few rides to forget the old one hurt and stop the grumpy behaviour.

Reactions: HaloHoney
I would think it's maybe bedded in and needs tweak.
Saying that though your position has significantly altered. I have just gone from my gp to the dressage. My position appears to have improved overnight!

newrider.com