Pretty sure this isn't normal

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Jess is pretty 'thin' skinned and a few years ago I used a home made pad and the pattern off it was still visible on her back 24 hours later, no bother I thought it was just me and just used that one over another bog standard cotton pad (which is what all of my pads are) in future and not seen it since.

For Xmas I got a new LeMieux pro sport pad, after a ride this left the pattern of the stitching on her back, not uncommon, so I paid more attention to brushing out after riding. But after another couple of rides a noticed I can feel the pattern on her back, could just be the hair right.... On sunday it was quite noticeable so I took a picture. I rode in my fleece bareback pad on Tuesday, yet this morning when changing rugs, I can still see that pattern...that's weird right?

Where the saddle and pad sit will leave a dent in the hair all year round on mine because it's so thick, but it's all of it.
I do on occasion get the pimple pattern from the pad but it's the whole area so I can see pressure is distributed fairly.
The above would suggest it's not being distributed? I wouldn't want to be feeling a dent from the stitching because she will be?

Reactions: Jessey
I do on occasion get the pimple pattern from the pad but it's the whole area so I can see pressure is distributed fairly.
The above would suggest it's not being distributed? I wouldn't want to be feeling a dent from the stitching because she will be?
The pattern is even across her whole back so that's one thing I guess. There aren't dents from the stitching, the dent is in the pad where the stitching is, the corresponding on her back is slightly raised (like the hair hasn't been squashed there)

I have the same pads and they do the same to ginger. I also brush him after a ride they marks are gone the next day it is noticeable this year because I left a saddle patch of hair last year I didn't see it at all.

We have an Acavallo half pad for Gem, we have to put it on top of a normal pad so it is between saddle and numnah, if put it direct to skin she has a reaction! noticied it first time on, but not sure if it has been slightly creased, tried second time making sure all okay and saddle fit, same again so put light pad inbetween no sign of anything since. We use one on Charlie no bother at all direct on skin.

strange it has lasted so long after use.......

Hmm makes me think Jess has sensitive skin. That plus your leg issues. I know totally different things but still.
I would see how it goes. If she's getting too hot under it I guess it could cause that reaction. But I think if the skin hasn't gone down by the next day I wouldn't want to use it. If it's just the hair then no bother but the skin raised could make her skin sensitive.

Hmm makes me think Jess has sensitive skin. That plus your leg issues. I know totally different things but still.
I would see how it goes. If she's getting too hot under it I guess it could cause that reaction. But I think if the skin hasn't gone down by the next day I wouldn't want to use it. If it's just the hair then no bother but the skin raised could make her skin sensitive.
I was trying to work out if it's just the hair or skin, I could feel a slightly raised bit but wasn't sure. She is very tb-y to touch, very fine coated, she has never liked any kind of grippy pad and some fly sprays will peel her skin, I do have to watch what I use on her.

The combo I've used for the last 3 years is a cotton quilted saddle cloth with a spacer material (like husk) cloth on top, it's worked great. This pad I was hoping would save having 2 separate ones, it's bamboo cotton, foam, then spacer material on top. So wouldn't expect her to get any hotter with it, and she's been less sweaty when using it.

That is the same one I have in the same colour (not relevant but looks pretty on a chestnut)

I will try and remember to take a picture tonight when I get there as I rode last night and another one after I finish riding tonight.

Ginger is thin skinned the same as Jess and I am careful what I use on him as it will wear his coat down even his reins can rub away his coat on his neck if I am not careful.

I've been using my pad for months (I have two of them in different colours) and apart from the raise coat after use I have had no issues

That is the same one I have in the same colour (not relevant but looks pretty on a chestnut)

I will try and remember to take a picture tonight when I get there as I rode last night and another one after I finish riding tonight.

Ginger is thin skinned the same as Jess and I am careful what I use on him as it will wear his coat down even his reins can rub away his coat on his neck if I am not careful.

I've been using my pad for months (I have two of them in different colours) and apart from the raise coat after use I have had no issues
Awesome thank you, she isn't objecting, it just seemed odd so if you have similar without any issue I will probably carry on an see.

Reactions: Prjsmk
newrider.com