PPID and lami question

lauren123

Feb 3, 2007
East Yorkshire
This is something that I have wondered for a while, someone did tell me, I'm sure however I cant remember the answer!
Horses and ponies that have PPID/ cushings disease there is a risk of lami with the PPID. However I am wondering even if the PPID is under control, according to blood tests etc. Would said equine still be at an increased risk of lami even though the levels are under control? Or is is purely they have ppid and whether the levels are in range or not doesnt really matter as the risks still remain high due to the ppid?

Hopefully his make sense :)

This is something that I have wondered for a while, someone did tell me, I'm sure however I cant remember the answer!
Horses and ponies that have PPID/ cushings disease there is a risk of lami with the PPID. However I am wondering even if the PPID is under control, according to blood tests etc. Would said equine still be at an increased risk of lami even though the levels are under control? Or is is purely they have ppid and whether the levels are in range or not doesnt really matter as the risks still remain high due to the ppid?

Hopefully his make sense :)

Hi. That's exactly what i have been thinking. My shettie has PPID & his recent blood test showed very low level of ACTH. The vet was delighted and confirmed he was on the correct dose of Prascend. I asked her the same question you have asked in this forum. Her reply was something like this: My pony will always be at risk of having lami. the Prascend only makes him less susceptible & future bouts of lami should be less severe. Treating the PPID does not rid him of lami. So bad news according to my vet. I began to wonder what was the benefit of giving him Prascend becuase I told the vet that after 6 months on Prascend I couldn't see any improvement in him. I guess the improvement is in his physiology whereby his hormones are now working properly. Without the Prascend his life span might/will be shorter. The complication with my pony is that he also has EMS so I am trying really hard to keep him on a strict diet. My dilemma is that he needs daily exercise (to improve the regulation of the blood sugar) but with sore feet that is impossible. It's so frustrating because i understand the importance of exercise in treating EMS. I do get really upset sometimes.:(

My farrier told me that PPID horses are far more prone to lami, even on medication, than a non-PPID horse.

newrider.com