Pony loading problem

Lued2319

Jun 3, 2016
My pony is being difficult about going in the trailor some days when I load him he just walks in like a dream but most other days he puts his front feet halfway up the ramp and rears up and refuses to go in. He has got no bad history of traveling and ones he is in he just stands there quietly until we arrive at our destination. Why is he being naughty about traveling please? X

I have very little experience of loading horses, in the past when we moved yards ours just more or less walked into the lorry without quibbling.
Hopefully you'll get some advice on here, because there are quite a few who go to shows etc regularly.

Have you got access to a trailer?
Do you only try to load him when you go someplace?
If you can put him in and feed him in there.

Also when we were first getting Andi to load again after quite a few years we moved the divider over a bit to make the opening wider.

Check how your approaching the trailer to load- are you going in straight?
If your not straight and then try to turn more straight at the last second sometimes that can make a difference.

A lot of people are not but I am big on carrots and rewarding.
I give mine a pc of carrot after they load and I always give a piece of carrot when I mount.
They look for that treat - and with mounting they don't walk off they wait for their carrot.
I give the carrot in the trailer after they are all set in in.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com