Please can the Doll and I have some vibes? Blood results in

Huge vibes - super strong ones too, coming from the girlies and Zi and Mr T and myself. Whatever happens you know that we are here to off load on to - and give our advice if requested too.xxxxxxxxxxx

You are all so very, very kind and my word I think all those vibes might just be working - feeling tentatively nearly very positive today. Went down early this morning to collect poo sample for vet and get her in....well would you believe she actually looked up, ears pricked and trundled across the field to follow me around on my hunt the fresh poo expedition- the most interest she has shown anyone in her field since she last tried to kill one of us lol! usually head low and depressed is the latest greeting.

So Mr Vet came...she started pacing the spot as I tied her up and twisting around to see who it was (Oh you lovely impatient old baggage Dolly !) Took his hat off his head when he was going to take the bloods - then tried to follow him into the barn to see what he was doing with her samples lol! neither of us could believe it - he hasnt seen her like this since visiting her last year and I certainly haven't seen this usual Dolly for nearly 4 months now. I told him I am feeling very positive that she is now on the mend and the bloods will be much improved- he said not to get my hopes up until I hear from him tomorrow - but he does think she looks like an extremely happy and healthy horse today. :D I left her in the yard to walk the vet to his jeep and she actually shouted indignantly out after me! Not heard her impatient and demanding voice for a good few months either! :D

I am trying SO hard not to get too excited but please, please let this be the turning point - as he said we might never know the cause if she is now on the mend - but who cares to be honest so long as she is recovering from whatever it was.....first part of vets bill in €1200 - more to come! :eek::rolleyes:

Thank you all once again - I was so low yesterday and reading your messages today really did help. :)

Ive just seen this so my vibes might be too late to be needed from your recent hopeful post! Hoping so but I'm sending all i can muster just in case xx

Ohmygosh, that norty mare of yours, worrying us all so and then seeming to rally at the 11th hour! Today DOES sound more positive for Dolly, C, and I shall keep my fingers crossed that the blood results show this tomorrow xxxx

So glad she seems on the mend. Still keeping everything crossed for you that you get positive news tomorrow.

Great to hear Dolly was a lot more herself , sounds like she is definitely improving. Hopefully the bloods will come back improved and she will just keep on improving. I'm sure you feel a weight has been lifted off your shoulders, I know she isn't out of the woods yet but at least you can have a sigh of relief that things are looking a lot better.:)
I will still keep sending healing vibes Dolly's way as it can't do any harm:D

Sending vibes and hugs and prayers for results tomorrow but oh my god I am so happy to read your update for today! That' the Dolly you need to see and I am so happy for you Both that she is feeling well enough today to see her like that again,long may that continue xx

Fingers & toes crossed that the change in behaviour & outlook is reflected in the blood results. I'm surprised you weren't in happy tears seeing her so much more normal, I know I would have been (and have in the past with Jim). Sending more vibes for good results xxx

I remember when the vet told me mine was such a lamb to do. I replied oh my god she's really really sick then.
It was lovely to get that call that it took three of them to do her and she had vacated the stable and they had pursued her down the driveway. Took three to lead her in the bridle. Oh super, she's getting better.
Her atrocious lack of manners was a sign she had views on the world again.
I sent chocolates for the staff because I knew they had earned every penny of the bill.

Just spoken with my vet - unfortunately not the 100 per cent improvement I had hoped for :( but most of her bloods are now 50 per cent better than her original ones so we seem in some areas to be going in the right direction although he says she is still worryingly anaemic - apart from her neutrophil levels that are still showing no change ? These are not anywhere near what they should be - but all other tests give no indication of why this is. So basically still no further forward in what exactly is going on with her. He has emailed all the results from the last 3 lot of blood tests to the UCD he spoke to last week with a possibility of her going in for further tests. :( And will be will be speaking with someone from another horsepital who is also supposed to be a dab hand at pinning down obscure blood results.

Her sweet itch is really bad today and I can't give her a steroid jab until we are more certain what is wrong with her, so that is a bit of a blow because she is now at the throwing herself on the ground and generally throwing a huge wobbly because she can't relieve the itch despite head to toe cover and slathered in cream - that cant be doing her any good can it?

I still feel positive though - almost all is much better than it was - so she HAS to be getting better in my mind. Oh well I won't clean her saddle just yet then :O

A 50% improvement is a massive leap in the right direction though, coupled with the change in demeanour it suggests things are going the right way.

I don't doubt that over the years you've tried all sorts with her sweetitch & she's wearing the right rugs. Do antihistamine tablets help her? Heavily spraying her rug with insect repellent? I don't know what else to suggest when you're the sort of person to already be on top of every angle.

Hang on in there, both of you x

neutrophil, that's a white blood cell and if elevated it suggesting an infection?

It's sounding like it's going the right way, but now they are probably thinking like you. It's farting in the dark and needs a pinpoint.

They are low NF not high (neutrophil) and she has been on very high doses of antibiotics anyway as a precautionary measure until they find out what is going on, but she shows no sign of infection anywhere and all her other other tests back up that she doesn't have and hasn't had an infection viral or otherwise. He said she is an enigma and a very interesting case that is perplexing them all - well to me she is just my Dolly and I want to know what is going on and have a clearer idea of where this is going before she is taken off somewhere for obscure tests to satisfy their curiosity. I don't mean that harshly - my vet and the experts he has regularly conferred with have been brilliant but I am getting wary of her becoming a study case for them rather than taking decisions that are in her best interests not theirs - does that make sense or am I over reacting? :(

I think that's a very valid view Cortrasna, she's Dolly not a lab rat & unless tests are likely to benefit her by altering her treatment then I'd refuse them. It would appear that whatever is being done is starting to have a positive effect so I'd be inclined to give it more time and see if she can pull herself out of it. The stress of being taken to unfamiliar surroundings to have a battery of tests run must be enormous for a horse, does she really need that when she's starting to improve? I think a point may come when you need to stand your ground with your vet, hard when he's been so good but Dolly is your priority & I doubt he's doing all this for free x

newrider.com