Pinworms in poo, good or bad?

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
Mattie has had a nasty dose of pinworm. I have been treating it with NoVerms and a cream as our vet thinks they may be resistant to Ivermectin.

Today I found 2 worms in his poo. They looks like beansprouts, so I believe they are the pinworms. Please can someone tell me if it is good that they are in his poo (because they are being expelled) or bad (because it shows he still has them)?

Thank you!

What a life is that of a horse owner... Picking over fresh poo for worms... pleh :help:

I would suggest bad as he still has them, i would keep checking over a few days. I thought the ones that looked like beansprouts were roundworms?

If you are in the middle of a course of wormer and the worms are dead, I would say good because they are coming out so the wormer is working.

wriggly beansprouts are usually pinworms! also check the bottom for yellowy pollen like stuff! i HATE PINWORMS! been fighting them all of last summer and this summer isnt much better. vet's been, tried a whole host of stuff ... nothing works. last year she literally had a bald bum (so bad the vets used a pic of it as a worst case scenario in their talk about worms!) ... unpleasant!

as to your questions, live pinworms are not good! dead ones are better!

wriggly beansprouts are usually pinworms! also check the bottom for yellowy pollen like stuff! i HATE PINWORMS! been fighting them all of last summer and this summer isnt much better. vet's been, tried a whole host of stuff ... nothing works. last year she literally had a bald bum (so bad the vets used a pic of it as a worst case scenario in their talk about worms!) ... unpleasant!

as to your questions, live pinworms are not good! dead ones are better!

What have you been using to treat them? They are getting resistant to most wormers now from what i hear.

thus far (since last summer) we have tried

ivermectin
ivermectin double dose
ivermectin triple dose
strongid P
panacur 5 day
pramox

plus a dectomax/parrafin solution to paint round her bum (vet gave us this)

Ivermectin painted round her bum

and currently I am just 'firefighting' with camrosa as she is still rubbing her bum.

the problem we have is that she lives in a huge field (40 acres - we cannot poopick this much, so we harrow) with 30 horses and seems to be grazing where other won't (eg vet said basically she likes to eat in the toilet), which makes is nigh on impossible to break the circle. i guess at least they are fairly harmless ....

although i found this (which she did within two days!) rather upsetting

strangeitch.jpg

That looks nasty, the vet thinks Sully has pinworms and not sweetitch because he is rubbing his bum. He has gunk round his bum which look like rust patches, i cleaned then up this morning and put on some vaseline.

We do poo pick our field and his last worm count came back with 0 eggs/worms found plus he has had panacur 5 day guard.

He is still rubbing his bum though but not to the extent or your girl.

with sweet itch its usually the top of the tail that 'gets it'. appley suffers from sweet itch as well, BUT the pinworm itch was literally around her, erm, anus. she'd lift the tail up and out of the way and then go for what's underneath. very different to sweet itch rubbing.

vet said pinworm doesn't neccessarily show up in wormcounts (guess because the lay eggs outside the body ?).

with sweet itch its usually the top of the tail that 'gets it'. appley suffers from sweet itch as well, BUT the pinworm itch was literally around her, erm, anus. she'd lift the tail up and out of the way and then go for what's underneath. very different to sweet itch rubbing.

vet said pinworm doesn't neccessarily show up in wormcounts (guess because the lay eggs outside the body ?).

Yes vet said that to me too, he tries to lift his tail because he has little sores underneath but does rub the top too but not the extent of making it bald. I'm going to worm again or contact the company who does my worming programme and ask them about pinworm.

Good luck with the pharmaceutical companies. My field mate, whose mare is also suffering and worse than Mattie, says she gets no interest from them whatsoever in wormer-resistant pinworm.

Well the company has just rang me back who i have my worming programme with and they are adjusting my programme to try and treat the infection. I also need to disinfect all the fence posts/gates etc. Oh the joys!

I agree with the other posters, pinworm are very difficult to treat. I must get asked every day about them when talking to customers. I have a short info sheet which I send to my customers if anyone would like one on email.
Good luck with that!

That would be helpful Gill.

newrider.com