Pet sitting as a career

I agree, having had several house sitters I don't think any of them had animal qualifications. They had come to the house, met the dogs, handled the horses and generally shown that they had a kind and responsible personality. That's good enough for me, especially with references, which you will have of course!

Reactions: squidsin and MrA
Thank-you everyone. I'm in no rush to go into things too seriously at the moment as have alot on my plate however have a few pet sitting 'jobs' set up for October already so good to get more experience and I can get some references sorted out. I'm hoping from November time to become a volunteer dog walker too. Then next spring/ summer I will perhaps start it as a small sideline business alongside my current job and see how I go. Thanks for all the advice and wisdom everyone

@Ale I know this is an old thread but I saw a small white van yesterday and thought of you. It said on it Field and Home pet care services..from Horses to Hamsters holiday care etc...I could imagine you doing something like that :D

It's still something I'm very much interested in doing after college :D love the line from horses to hamsters! Thank you :)

I have been talking to our local 'Pet Sitting Service' lady - she dog walks and pet sits in the pet owners' homes, including sleepovers for clients who have gone away on holiday. She also looks after the donkeys at a local nursery. There are apparently quite a few people in the locality setting up in similar business, but she says there's no rivalry because there's so much work available, in fact she will advise and help anyone thinking of setting up their own business in the area. I am quite tempted myself!

newrider.com