Pastures New for Harvey too :(

GaryB

Mar 23, 2015
Some of you may remember that I was effectively forced to move yards in February after my livery went up by 20%. The move was a bit traumatic with new people to get used to (I am definitely not a people person) and Harvey being a pest while settling in. I was just starting to feel like we had turned the corner when yesterday I got a text to say the the yard is being sold and we will all have to move.

The yard manager (who leases the yard) has found a new yard only 10 minutes away which looks really nice, but the hacking is very poor so its not going to suit me as hacking is 95% of my riding.

I'm thinking of moving a bit closer to home. I've found a yard where the hacking is ok (but not as good as current), they have herd turnout which will suit Harvey, and they have a jumping paddock. They have an indoor school but it is tiny, certainly not big enough to jump in. I'm going to try and have a look over the weekend.

It will probably turn out ok in the end but I'm feeling a bit despondent about another search and another round of settling in :(

That's a shame Gary, but on the plus side having him closer to home will free up your time a bit. Do you have transport, and if so would it be possible to box somewhere to jump in the winter?

What was on your shortlist last time. Could you revisit those and see if they might tick the boxes now?
Add into the new search.
I feel for you. I think moving horses is as stressful as moving house!

Thanks everyone.

There were only 2 yards on my previous shortlist, one I moved to, and the other is the one I am going to visit. I am checking for vacancies in the area where I used to share a horse too....

I have got transport so travelling to jump can be an option if I can find somewhere to hire. I have to say it would be nice to have Harvey closer - he's 30 minutes away at the moment.

There is :)
I've found somewhere near where my ex share horse lives so I know the hacking quite well. It wasn't advertised, but the local tack shop owner knew of it. I'd have liked him to have herd turnout, but everywhere I found was individual. They can however touch noses over the fences. There are 4 liveries I think + the owner and there is a 20x40 school. Harvey will be on part livery for 5 days but that also covers turnout at weekends which will really suit me. Its also about 10 minutes less each way. It also looks like I will be able to have some lessons if I can afford it - see the yard owners CV below!!!! (I think 4 exclamation marks are justified here)
So I am very nervous about it, but we move a week on Saturday

Hannah Jackson BHS II, UKCC Level 3, BSJA Level 3 Coach and Pony Club Accredited Trainer. Hannah is a British Horse Society Intermediate Instructor (BHSII) and a UKCC Level 3 Coach. She also holds a University Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (DTLLS) and is currently working part time as a Lecturer in the Equine Unit of an agricultural college. She has Show Jumped for Great Britain on numerous National Show Jumping teams in both the UK and Europe, and has competed at Hickstead (RIHS), Olympia and the Horse of the Year Show. Hannah teaches private clients and is a Show Jump trainer for a number of Riding Clubs and Pony Clubs. She regularly competes with her own horses, as well as horses owned by, and on behalf of other people. She also takes horses for schooling and to sell on for clients. Hannah is happy to teach riders of any standard, whether they are competing at affiliated or unaffiliated or just hoping to do so in the future

Last edited:
Reactions: Trewsers
There is :)
I've found somewhere near where my ex share horse lives so I know the hacking quite well. It wasn't advertised, but the local tack shop owner knew of it. I'd have liked him to have herd turnout, but everywhere I found was individual. They can however touch noses over the fences. There are 4 liveries I think + the owner and there is a 20x40 school. Harvey will be on part livery for 5 days but that also covers turnout at weekends which will really suit me. Its also about 10 minutes less each way. It also looks like I will be able to have some lessons if I can afford it - see the yard owners CV below!!!! (I think 4 exclamation marks are justified here)
So I am very nervous about it, but we move a week on Saturday

Hannah Jackson BHS II, UKCC Level 3, BSJA Level 3 Coach and Pony Club Accredited Trainer. Hannah is a British Horse Society Intermediate Instructor (BHSII) and a UKCC Level 3 Coach. She also holds a University Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (DTLLS) and is currently working part time as a Lecturer in the Equine Unit of an agricultural college. She has Show Jumped for Great Britain on numerous National Show Jumping teams in both the UK and Europe, and has competed at Hickstead (RIHS), Olympia and the Horse of the Year Show. Hannah teaches private clients and is a Show Jump trainer for a number of Riding Clubs and Pony Clubs. She regularly competes with her own horses, as well as horses owned by, and on behalf of other people. She also takes horses for schooling and to sell on for clients. Hannah is happy to teach riders of any standard, whether they are competing at affiliated or unaffiliated or just hoping to do so in the future

My instructor is also an BHSII and teaches pc/rc and has competed in eventing etc etc.
You will be surprised by most of their achievements to be honest.
The main thing is that you get on, not what they've done or not done. :D

Reactions: GaryB
newrider.com