Ouch

I have to say I agree the leathers should never, ever have snapped during normal use. And I should 'do something' about it. Unfortunately I binned both sets of leathers on Tuesday as soon as the refund had been processed and the bins have been emptied....
I have the photos and about 8 witnesses but not the actual leathers. Any ideas?

@orbvalley I have no clue why or how the leather snapped. All I can say is they did! I bought 2 sets of leathers at the same time and I took thd 2nd pair of them off Oscar's saddle to throw them away. I examined them carefully and there was a crack in the smooth outer dark brown layer exposing paler, more friable looking leather where the buckle was. My own pair actually looked fine but these looked dodgy already after 2 months. So I think they are generally poor quality.

Mine tore where the stirrup buckle was so I guess that's an area both of weakness and a point of pressure.

That is really shocking and quite scary really! I think even if it was the side you mounted that doesn't warrant them snapping like that, they were less than 3 months old.

Well if you have binned them I very much doubt you could take it any further - to be honest I am surprised and quite shocked that the manufacturer didn't request them back for them to do their own research into why this might have happened - faulty batch of leather or something. One would like to feel they would be very concerned and determined to get to the bottom of the issue and if necessary to recall any others that were perhaps produced from the same leather etc. By failing to do so I would think they are leaving themselves wide open to huge claims at some point for not doing their utmost to rectify what could well be a common fault :(

@orbvalley I have no clue why or how the leather snapped. All I can say is they did! I bought 2 sets of leathers at the same time and I took thd 2nd pair of them off Oscar's saddle to throw them away. I examined them carefully and there was a crack in the smooth outer dark brown layer exposing paler, more friable looking leather where the buckle was. My own pair actually looked fine but these looked dodgy already after 2 months. So I think they are generally poor quality.

Mine tore where the stirrup buckle was so I guess that's an area both of weakness and a point of pressure.

I'd have been interested to see the cracked pair given mine of the same brand are much much older. Was it the manufacturer you got the refund from or the amazon outlet you bought from? As most manufacturers will as for the failed items back so that they can find out batch number and test the leather to see if recall is needed and also due to the nature of your injuries try and preclude any proceedings you may take if the items are still within warranty.

Leather shouldn't break like that if the leather has been carefully selected to be free of faults, but if they used a bit from an animal that had been injured or the leather had been damaged during tanning then that could explain why it happened, think of non-English leather and how much more cardboard like it is, different animals and different manufacturing process' cause that.

Reactions: MrC
Reminds me of when I had my accident. After sox stood on me. Straight to majors then straight to high dependence.
I had very very little damage on the outside. A hoof shaped print. However I had internally bleeding from my liver into my stomach and my pelvis. As when he stood on me he basically cut my liver ope :( no I didn't have a BP on.
Really hope that your improve quickly lovely. I would be fuming about the leather!!!!

A week since my fall and my back looks horrendous :(

I was hoping for just a couple of weeks off but not so sure...... I have camp at Somerford from Sept 5th. Even that is looking a bit soon now. Fingers crossed it heals quickly. Any top tips to speed things up? Pain relief, rest and ice is the only medical management advice I have been given.

20170812_120748.jpg

A week since my fall and my back looks horrendous :(

I was hoping for just a couple of weeks off but not so sure...... I have camp at Somerford from Sept 5th. Even that is looking a bit soon now. Fingers crossed it heals quickly. Any top tips to speed things up? Pain relief, rest and ice is the only medical management advice I have been given.

View attachment 88253

Omg! That looks soooooo sore missus. You are turnip coloured!!!!:eek::eek:sending loads of extra strength healing.

OMG you must have been in agony - stay grounded until you're totally healed is the best advice although not the best to hear. Speedy healing vibes to you xxx

Ouch indeed :( arnica tablets and cream, witch hazel too, both should help the bruising resolve as quickly as possible.
My friend came off year ago, he was that colour from his neck to his bum, the pain went long before the colour did.

OMG you must have been in agony -

Adrenaline is a funny (useful) thing! I was up before the trainer got to me and said I was fine, I caught Amber, led her back to the box, loaded her, drove home for over an hour, unloaded, fetched the ponies in..... Then - and only then - was I in agony. At which point I drove home and asked my husband to take me to hospital! And I wasn't sick till about an hour after getting to minor injuries either. No wonder people walk around with concussion or broken backs and necks! Scary.

Reactions: orbvalley
Ouch indeed :( arnica tablets and cream, witch hazel too, both should help the bruising resolve as quickly as possible.
My friend came off year ago, he was that colour from his neck to his bum, the pain went long before the colour did.

That's reassuring. Pain is still pretty bad but is getting better, though looking worse.

Reactions: Jessey
Chr!st Almighty lass! Have you been back to your GP? If not then I think you should and ask to be referred to a physio asap. A physio will help with recovery, otherwise you may be left with long lasting effects... I was badly kicked on the shin bone a few weeks back and my physio has been giving me ultrasound on it to help the swelling and bruising.

Sending you all the get well soon vibes in the world, that looks so painful!

Gosh that looks awful! I think arnica and witch hazel is meant to help with bruising. Rest up and take it very easy. Sending healing vibes, it would be a shame if you miss the Somerford camp, but you don't want to come back to soon and it set you back further either.

newrider.com